LegacyGT.com

Mercedes Benz SLR...

So I'm looking over a several month old "Automobile" magazine

entering the test results into my car database and I was entering

the "Passing Time" from 30-70 mph of the car and was ASTONISHED!!!

The SLR goes from 30 mph to 70 mph in 3.0 seconds!!!

To give you an idea of how FAST that is here's the times of a few other cars:

2005 Scion xB: 12.6 seconds

2005 Corvette C6: 5.6 seconds

2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S: 6.6 seconds

Ford GT: 5.6 seconds (I'm guessing it's traction limited)

Lambo Murcielago: 5.7 seconds

Porsche Carrera GT: 3.8 seconds

Good God, in that 30-70 mph run, the SLR would pull nearly 2 car lengths on the 605 hp Porsche GT and pull like 8-9 car lengths on a C6 Corvette...in a matter of seconds!!!

In a run with the Scion xB from 30 mph the SLR would hit 70 mph before the Scion hit 40 mph....LOL :D

But I should say it's mostly midrange power for the SLR that gives it such AMAZING passing times. Because the Porsche GT would soon catch and pass the SLR once the V10 gets screaming...it trapped 6 mph faster than the SLR in the 1/4 mile.

No, unlike Car and Driver which does the complete idiotic and USELESS "top gear" test, Automobile and AutoWeek both run their "passing" tests in the lowest gear possible for the best times.

Automobile's "passing test" is the best since it gives you more than just a 20 mph range and it gives you a better idea of what the car will do once ROLLING in an everyday on the street type situation.

I would love them to add a "passing" test from 60-100 mph too.

The Ford GT reaches 62 mph in 1st gear. So they would start in 1st and go to 2nd near the end of the run. But as stated, the Ford GT could obviously EASILY spin it's tires all the way through 1st gear, I'm sure. So it's time is hampered a bit by not being able to get on the throttle too hard.

Come to think of it, the SLR...even with the auto...would spin it's tires the entire time too. It may have a traction control system that allows you to just floor it and the car will accelerate as hard as possible without spinning the tires...giving it that amazing time.

Hum....when will the Mini guys come up with a "G-Meter" to measure decel?

;)

------

Back on-topic!

Driver72, that's a pretty darned cool observation. I'll definitely think-twice before I tackle one of those on the highway. :lol:

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived