LegacyGT.com

5EAT Transmission Valve Body

Skiman

I have an '05 LGT, 5EAT. Very well taken care of, 139,500 miles, car runs good, but does a "hick-up" when aggressively driving in top part of the rev band and the check engine light - cruise control light starts flashing. Goes away after starting the car 4 or 5 times.

I drive 135 miles commute a day and get avg. of 24.5 - 25.5 mpg. It's a mix of Interstate, country and city roads at all speeds.

That said, had the dealer check it out, did a full trans fluid flush and refill and TCM updates. Now told it probably requires a Trans Valve Body. Part approx. $850 and labor approx. $375. Has anyone had this issue before? What happened? What were your repair costs?

What about a replacement trans? One possibly out of a wreck? Will the 2006, '07 or '08 5EAT's work in the 2005? Love the car, want to get another 100K out of it.

Thanks for all responses.

What symptoms suggest the valve body is the culprit?

Most folks don't have your kind of mileage, so you are in the early group of folks starting to push the longevity of the 5eat.

I was talking to a transmission parts distributor yesterday. They can get a used VB out of a wreck for ~$350. ~98% of the time it is a perfectly functional unit. Or if you want a guarantee and still have a ~98% certainty it will work perfectly, you can pay double for a rebuilt one. This involves pulling all the little bits apart and inspecting/replacing worn valves (rebuilder does this). Also should involve replacing the solenoids.

What code(s) do you get when your check engine light turns on? This should be step one!

05-07 appear to be the same valve control body part #, though for some unknown reason they changed the design at some point. Most likely inconsequential. http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_26/automatic_transmission/at_control_valve/illustration_1/

You do realize the dealer will literally charge you double for both labor and parts, right? Though keep in mind if you go to an experienced non-dealer mechanic, they still need to add back in many quarts of 5eat-specific ATF, and apply a RTV or comparable gasket to the trans fluid pan following re-installation. Aside from that, it's a dozen or so bolts to swap the actual VB. Very simple, just messy since it rains ATF during removal.

Call IPT they can rebuild the valve body for $769 and make it stronger.

Don't do that. IPT "rebuilds" nothing about the valve body, nor do they make it stronger. But they may do it outside of their standard service if specially requested. But that would be completely pointless. You'll have to trust me on this one ;)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

To all, thanks for your inputs. First, the code that came up was P1844, Pressure Sensor Switch Circut. According to the Subie Service Dept. the "new" trans valve body in the 5EAT is not serviceable for switches or solenoids. It's 1 replacement part.

At the trans flush service, I had the reflash updates put on for codes P1799 & P0771, which just updated and had nothing to do with the P1844.

So far, I have not really pushed the car "hard" enough to see if the lights and code comes back. I'm going to have Ed Barry, my dealers top service troubleshooter check the car out. Ed has been ranked as one of the top Subaru guys in the country. I have found him to be very knowledgeable, honest and helpful in conversation.

ClimberD I appreciate your input and will keep you all in the loop as to what I find out.

The pressure switch plate is a plastic board of 5 sensors that look like clear plastic holes. I've not seen anything like it before. You could pull it off the crappiest of used valve bodies and put it on yours, worst low cost case. Or find the wire that is loose or disconnected somewhere in the circuit, which is quite possibly the actual cause of the failure. I don't know, would need to dig deeper to learn more, don't have time today.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 6 years later...

The 5EAT transmission operates fine with nothing symptomatic,,, and then the ODB error code P1844 makes an appearance.

The P1844 ODB error code first happened on a 1,500 mile (ATL-DEN) summer road trip. With the Code error the Subaru OB XT disables the cruise control all the while flashing its dash lights etc. Once the ODB condition is erased via the reader, its all is good until the next P1844 code episode.

The MY05 Outback XT w/5EAT auto gearbox was new to us, that is to say the vehicles service history is first hand knowledge from 11 miles until 125K mi today. At about 50K miles or 6yo the 5EAT trans fluid & inline filter located behind the battery were changed/serviced by Subaru Denver. At about 100,000 miles I personally changed the 5EAT fluid and inline filter using OEM fluid and filter element. The procedure taken was to drain the 5EAT fluid pan by its single bolt drain, maybe 3+ quarts actually drained. The trans fluid pipe circuit to the filter and onto the radiator installed cooler and back to the transmission was also drained of 5EAT trans fluid; maybe 1 quart. The 5EAT took about 4 quarts to refill.

After about 250 miles the above 5EAT fluid drain procedure was repeated. I wasn't anywhere secure to effectively remove the transmission pan altogether, which would have captured more fluid. ("Cleanliness is an automatic transmission's friend") So next best service practice was the 2 step scheme...

With an April '17 5EAT fluid/filter service and a 3,000mi ATL to Vail to ATL road trip

behind us there was no sign of ODB P1844 error code.

Fast forward September '17 and bingo P1844 made a showing. Go figure?

The MY05 Outback XT has the easiest life a car can have ... mostly weekly runs on Monday (60mi) to the ATL airport, parked inside,, until Wednesday comes along and its headed home to another garage. O well, be that as it may. ODB error code P1844 is being reported more and more.

Is there a settled conclusion to the 5EAT error code P1844 ?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Could a lose wire in the console located Shift Selector P R N D L be a possible culprit of ODM P1844? I've had the console trim pieces R&R's.. and fitted with good condition plastic trim items. Additionally, the console located Shift Selector P R N D L and its trim pieces are consequently removed when the radio/CD/HVAC unit is replaced. Our MY05 OB XT is on its 4th radio/CD/HVAC assembly replacement. Real POS that HVAC assembly.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Archived