LegacyGT.com

24 Pack Microfiber towels $10

If anyone needs microfiber towels I Just went to Big Lots and they have this amazing deal. 24 microfibers for $10. That is one heck of a deal compared to many local retailers. Just in time for Spring Detailing! Go get some if you need some!

Just be aware that there is a HUGE difference between grades of microfiber out there. Microfiber is used from everything from underwear to basketballs. The grade of towel I would recommend for your paint is a lot higher than the grade sold in bulk packages like that. Think of it like bed sheets. There is a huge difference between the novelty Spongebob Squarepants sheets on your kid's bed and the 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets on your bed. Some people may not notice the difference, but to those who have slept on 1500 TC sheets, the difference is night and day. Buy a ten dollar microfiber towel from a vendor online and compare it to what you are getting at Costco and Big Lots and you'll see what I mean. ;)

However, with that being said, I fully intend to go to Big Lots tomorrow and see if I can score some of these towels for duty under the hood, on glass, and in the interior of cars. Definitely for glass. I hate using my nice towels for something that a low end towel can handle just fine. The same goes for when I'm cleaning wheels. Something like these towels are perfect when you don't want to be concerned about permanently staining them or something like that.

Thanks for the tip!

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 weeks later...

Up here in Canada Home Depot carries the same deal, for all the Canadians wondering where they can get this deal, except it costs us $14. Still a steal of a deal though.

I bought 3 packs because you never know if they are going to restock when they sell out or not!

Cheers.

Not really in the high quality area. Don't get me wrong... You aren't going to sand the paint off your car if you use these, but there is a massive difference between high quality microfiber and what they sell at costco and big lots. It's like the difference between a bath robe and a paper towel.

The pros to these towels is that they are cheap and you don't have to shed tears if you stain them or they get crusty. The cons list is a little longer. Some of this may not matter if you are using it for engines or wheels, but if you want to use them for paint, here is what you should expect:

- fibers get crusty

- they lint like motherf$#@*&s

- the edges snag

- grease will actually eat through some of them

- some are not plush enough to be effective at removing wax

- some are treated with something which streaks on your paint

- some are not really 'microfiber', but just terry cloth being called microfiber

Again, not all of these things are bad and they are certainly better than using a T-Shirt, but Subaru paint is really soft and easy to haze, so I wouldn't use anything but the softest if you are concerned about that kind of thing.

I just wish I was more of a microfiber connoisseur. When I buy mine I usually just go with whatever seems to be the best deal. Then I separate them into whatever category I feel they would work best in. We can work out some sort of a group buy with a vendor if anybody wanted to do that. I'm not entirely sure what kind of deal we can get, but I can contract a couple people and see. Since the towels are all coming from Korea or China anyway, it really just matters that we find someone who does the most volume in sales so we can get the best deal. I've already been called out for "spamming" too many times, so if someone wants to start a thread requesting a GB for microfiber towels, then I'd be happy to see where I can find some.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That list of cons, I have run into with every microfiber towel bought at Sam's Club or Advance Auto Parts. They were soft and worked great off the shelf, until the 2nd or 3rd wash ...

I am currently in the market for large microfiber towels that I can use to wipe a car down after a wash and now that you mentioned it, maybe high quality pads with which to apply wax, etc.

All I can say is that I've got at least a couple of each of the towels that Autogeek sells and I love them all. http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html It just depends on what you want them to do. I love the Guzzler waffle weave drying towel. That sucker works amazingly well. I also love the grey towels with the black lining. Those are incredibly plush and work perfect at getting polish and wax off without hazing the paint. I apply waxes with the orange microfiber applicators. I apply leather conditioners with those as well. They have a couple kits which outfit you well with the softest towels for your paint. Buy the ones in bulk at costco for glass, interior, and stuff like that, but when it comes to your paint it is worth it to have towels which last and are much safer.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived