LegacyGT.com

upgrading audio help 97 outback

amorgan93

i have a 97 outback with the factory 80w system with the subwoofer under the seat. I am buying a 1200 watt sony xplod amp and would like to use my factory head unit for now. Can someone explain which wires are what that goes to the factory amp/sub under the seat. I know its getting an un-amplified signal because the amp/sub is built together so i would like to cut the plug that goes into the sub/amp and run the un-amplified signal to my amp via RCA cables.

thanks

Are the power figures you have quoted RMS power figures or the fooly hektik MAX power ratings? If its the latter, ignore it. MAX power ratings mean nothing.

Is the amp a 4 channel or mono? Does the amp have high level inputs?

Better to spend the $$ on an aftermarket deck now then to spend more in the long run on crappy adapters or rerunning wires... Imo

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

took apart the subaur subwoofer and on the circuit board it had each wire labeled, ground, +, and + and - for left and right speaker input. Easy enough. I cut a rca cable and connected the + the the + part of the rca and - to the ground wire in the rca cable. Ran both RCAs to the rear of the car and plugged it directly into the amp. works like a charm!! i can make the bass almost go away with the bass knob on the factory radio and make it all come back if i want. no need to put in an aftermarket

That's generally not a good idea. Your feeding an amp a high-level input through inputs designed for low-level signals.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

the subwoofer that sits under the seat of the outback has an amplifier built into it. The signal that goes to that factory amp is not high-level, it is low level output. The sony xplod didnt work so i bought a much better pioneer 1200 watt amp from a friend. system sounds good.

Pioneer 1200 watt amp... Probably puts out 350RMS lol

Archived