LegacyGT.com

F & R swaybar specs

nicd

[quote name='nicd']I was looking throu the shop manuals for the new legacies and it says the front swaybar is 20 mm and the rear is 16 mm. Just an FYI.[/quote] And given the neutrality of the GT, I'd be careful about swapping in something larger. It had a beneficial effect on the WRX wagon, but there wasn't as much attention to paid to dive and squat as regards the suspension geometry, not to mention that the WRX wagon's swaybar attached in the usual Subaru way, which is inward from the hub, with flexy rubber bits as the swaybar links. The GT's swaybar attachment puts the points of connection right at the business end. It might not necessarily need a larger rear bar. Use caution. Kevin

Only on the older models such as the BD/BG generation they made a rather noticeable difference. Also, the ricers like them too, but I think Cusco and STi bars are too high quality and expensive for most of them. :mrgreen:

Many manufacturers do build stiffer chassis now, but not all, and sometimes it is more benefitial to weight if they just use a beefier crossmember and an STB instead of going with other measures to make the chassis stronger. From everything I've seen, Subaru has done one heck of a job incorporating an excellent balance of chassis rigidity with weight savings (something rarely seen when structures get beefier), and the ability to have AWD in a package lighter than many other mfgs. Nice to not need the extra bars to get that higher level of chassis rigidity. :)

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='nicd']I was looking throu the shop manuals for the new legacies and it says the front swaybar is 20 mm and the rear is 16 mm. Just an FYI.[/quote] And given the neutrality of the GT, I'd be careful about swapping in something larger. It had a beneficial effect on the WRX wagon, but there wasn't as much attention to paid to dive and squat as regards the suspension geometry, not to mention that the WRX wagon's swaybar attached in the usual Subaru way, which is inward from the hub, with flexy rubber bits as the swaybar links. The GT's swaybar attachment puts the points of connection right at the business end. It might not necessarily need a larger rear bar. Use caution. Kevin[/quote] I hear what you are saying. I'd go with JDM sizes. Does anyone know how big the JDM sways are in the GT and the Spec B? Paul?

Sway bar sizes for the Spec B will almost certainly be according to that car's spring and damper rates. Mixing and matching, that is, using Spec B sway bars for a car with softer springs and dampers could lead to unwanted handling artifacts, as the USDM stock struts/springs are so different from the Spec B setup. The GT sway sizes shouldn't be too far off, but do we for a fact know that the USDM sway bar sizes are inadequate, or in any way hampering the car's handling? Kevin

[quote name='Drift Monkey']No, but everyone wants to jump on the "bigger is better" bandwagon (ala WRX).[/quote] Sheesh. Even though that car taught us that bigger isn't better, and leads to broken swaybar mounts, broken STi swaybar links, bump steer, snap-throttle oversteer...all that fun stuff. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey']No, but everyone wants to jump on the "bigger is better" bandwagon (ala WRX).[/quote] Sheesh. Even though that car taught us that bigger isn't better, and leads to broken swaybar mounts, broken STi swaybar links, bump steer, snap-throttle oversteer...all that fun stuff. Kevin[/quote] Fun, fun, fun. I do agree that the Spec.B dampners will probably be needed to make the sway bars work [b]correctly[/b].

Archived