LegacyGT.com

Need help wiring crossovers.

hansvonaxion

So I bought these second hand components to replace the stock speakers in my 2nd gen JDM GTB...

http://www.addzest.com/image/2003/web/810A/SRT1680HX-AZ_01.jpg

...but I'm not sure what to do with the stock wiring.

IIRC there's one wire coming from the head unit into a plug in the door, that plug splits it into 2 wires, one runs to the woofer, one to the tweeter.

These speakers have separate crossovers, with one input. I need to know how I can connect the stock wiring to the crossovers, I assume I have 3 options...

1. Cut the original speaker wire before it gets split by the plug.

Least desirable choice because I want to leave stuff as original as possible, I think there may be other wires running into that plug (courtesy light?) and don't want to mess up, it would leave little room to move for mounting crossovers etc.

2. Re-join the 2 wires.

I have some plugs I could use, just twist them together and put a plug on them to connect them to the crossover together.

3. Tape-off the tweeter wire.

I don't know if that would be a bad idea, "weaken" the signal or some such.

Are they all OK options?

Edit: forget the second Qn for now.

Option 1 is your best bet. However, you shouldn't be mounting your cross overs in the doors, you run the risk of them getting damaged by water etc. They will also no doubt rattle around etc etc etc.

Find somewhere in the foot well or under the dash to mount them. Cross overs should never be mounted in the doors.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the crossovers yet, I don't have the car so can't check for size. There are holes for mounting with screws which should keep them held firmly (was considering a custom baffle extended for the crossovers) and they're fairly well sealed already plus the doors will be sealed with deadening but I will definitely consider your advice when it comes to mounting time.

I need the wiring sorted first... are either of the other 2 options acceptable? I really don't want to cut the plug off. :(

It's one of those big plastic factory plugs you get on your wiring harness. I don't know exactly how they're connected but I don't think they're that easy to put on, that's why people buy adapters when wiring their speakers.

Edit: oh you mean I could put the plug back on later by soldering the wires together. I guess so. Another thing is, I have nowhere to work. I have to work on the street with no power.

The other options are just to rejoin the 2 wires - I can twist them together and put a flat plug (not sure what it's called) on the end with a crimping tool and connect it to the crossover. I don't see a problem with that, probably what I'll end up trying.

Or just ignore one of the wires.

Yeah you can do that, just make sure that the lug (not a typo) is soldered on properly, you don't want to have to keep taking your door trim off to reconnect it.

Buy yourself a cheap gas soldering iron and you won't have any problems. Don't forget heat shrink as well to minimise the risk of short circuits. Don't use electrical or any other sort of tape. Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work lol you don't want to pop fuses.

Do it once and do it right.

Yeah you can do that, just make sure that the lug (not a typo) is soldered on properly, you don't want to have to keep taking your door trim off to reconnect it.

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks. :)

Do it once and do it right.

Not what I wanted to hear. :lol:

Buy yourself a cheap gas soldering iron and you won't have any problems. Don't forget heat shrink as well to minimise the risk of short circuits. Don't use electrical or any other sort of tape. Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work lol you don't want to pop fuses.

I already had to buy a cheap soldering iron to fix the mess the previous owner made trying to connect the tweeters - I can only hope they still work and he hasn't shorted stuff out. :spin:

Archived