LegacyGT.com

Subaru to update MY 2006-2010 ECM software

aigochamaloh

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve the performance of your vehicle’s emission control system. This software change will not adversely affect fuel economy or performance and only applies to models (Impreza, Forester, Legacy and Outback) equipped with a 2.5 Liter non-turbo engines. Vehicles with turbo or 6 cylinder engines are not included, nor are the Baja or Tribeca models.

http://www.serviceprogramwvu31.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I had this done on my 2.5i about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed a slight increase in my AVG MPG. For the first couple of days I noticed that the idle was kind of low, in the 400-500 RPM range and the idle felt kinda rough.

My personal opinion is that the car feels like it has about 5-10 BHP less now. Thank GOD I have the paint matched eyelids to compensate for that!! :)

Another note is that when using cruise control, if you try it accelerate using the cruise control stick (pushing up) it is more sluggish in responding.

just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this done Friday, car felt fine driving it yesterday.

A couple months ago Subaru flashed my ECU for a similar reason as I recall. Afterwards the car seemed to idle rougher on startup. This time it seems a bit better.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a notice from Subaru regarding the ECU reprograming for my 2008 Impreza. California owners should note this is a requirement from CARB. Here is the California Owners excerpt:

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California's vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a "Proof of Correction Certificate." If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the "DMV") when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test.

So I finally got a notice from Subaru regarding the ECU reprograming for my 2008 Impreza. California owners should note this is a requirement from CARB. Here is the California Owners excerpt:

CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California's vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a "Proof of Correction Certificate." If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the "DMV") when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test.

:confused: California is one of the states that has stricter emission laws since they require naturally aspirated vehicles to be PZEV certified. So why does the "State of California" require an emission test every two years instead of every year?

:spin:

:confused: California is one of the states that has stricter emission laws since they require naturally aspirated vehicles to be PZEV certified. So why does the "State of California" require an emission test every two years instead of every year?

:spin:

If you drive manual transmission NA Subies in California, you don't get a PZEV sticker, they are considered LEV2 (or somthing like that). My 08 Impreza 2.5i 5-Speed Manual and 11 Legacy 2.5i 6-Speed Maunal were both bought in California without the PZEV sticker. Hence, you can tell if a 2.5i is a manual or automatic (autos get PZEV sticker) by whether the trunk lid has a PZEV sticker slapped on.

California Air Resource Board is really just a bunch government workers just trying to survive on tossing as many regulations they can to justify their existence. I'm glad California is having a budget crisis, all the "flower" people can see the axe all I care.

If you drive manual transmission NA Subies in California, you don't get a PZEV sticker, they are considered LEV2 (or somthing like that). My 08 Impreza 2.5i 5-Speed Manual and 11 Legacy 2.5i 6-Speed Maunal were both bought in California without the PZEV sticker. Hence, you can tell if a 2.5i is a manual or automatic (autos get PZEV sticker) by whether the trunk lid has a PZEV sticker slapped on.

California Air Resource Board is really just a bunch government workers just trying to survive on tossing as many regulations they can to justify their existence. I'm glad California is having a budget crisis, all the "flower" people can see the axe all I care.

I beg to differ. My 09 Legacy 2.5i 5 speed has a PZEV badge right on the back. Made people ask me if it was a hybrid when I was autocrossing, and I'd just answer yes. They didn't like the fact that a "hybrid" was going around faster than them.

^This only applies to the new generation cars, 5th Generation Legacy. However, I just looked up the 08 Impreza, apparently both Manual and Autos don't get the PZEV badge. In any case, I don't get the cool leaf badge for either cars. :icon_sad:

I did see your video on Streets of Willow (CCW), I think that was the time you were runing around ~1:42 stock back in 2008. I took my 08 Impreza stock and ran 1:42 stock back in March of 2009 (CW) old configuration. The 08 Impreza without a rear swaybar had ALOT of body roll.

Hmm, the new Outbacks have the PZEV badge. I see those around. I don't recall seeing a 6th gen Legacy 2.5i having one though, you're right.

I ran a 1:40 stock in the Legacy on SOW. Tons and tons of body roll.

Hmm, the new Outbacks have the PZEV badge. I see those around. I don't recall seeing a 6th gen Legacy 2.5i having one though, you're right.

I ran a 1:40 stock in the Legacy on SOW. Tons and tons of body roll.

I don't recall seing a 6:th gen Legacy.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the notice yesterday, had it done today. Stumbles at idle, just like right after the other reflash a year back. Stalled on me a couple times today though. This is the worst I've had it stumble when approaching lights and putting the clutch in.

Service adviser also scratched my door with my keys when he was trying to get in the car to read the mileage. Only two times has the car gone into the dealership (for each reflash), and both times has come out with a new scratch or two. Absolutely lovely.

I'm driving the car around like I stole it so it learns my foot again, and hopefully the stumbling clears up like it did last time.

Mine will start and idle rough for 30sec or so, but once it's warm it's fine.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 months later...
Car has also been stalling during start up. Had Subaru fix the issue and the car stopped stalling, however, it still would idle lower than 500 rpms. Then I had some more work done in which the car lost batter power (evident by radio stations and clock settings were back to default). Now the car is stalling all over again. Going back to Subaru to see if I can get them to remove the update.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived