LegacyGT.com

confused about cats and my possible exhaust purchase

QWERTYTFC

Just bought an 08 lgt, have always had older legacy's- 91 and 95 thought i would go for it and i am looking at upgrading it some and don't have any friends into cars and i am not the sharpest tool in the shed with cars but ne ways.

I am confused on how many cats there are on the exhaust system. from what i have seen n read i am thinking one on the downpipe and one shortly there after ( or a resonator?) and one on the uppipe. I am confused as all the aftermarket exhausts dont have a catted option as the downpipes do. So what exactly do i do, go fully catless and just switch to stock and take some boost off for emission time, or get a catted exhaust( still unsure of how many cats are from the turbo back) by having a dpipe catted and possibly a mid pipe catted if there is even a cat on it?!?!?!

(if there are two would i keep one for a visual inspection? and to possibly still pass emissions?)

Sorry if this is like a exact re post lol because i am sure it is:confused:

help is much appreciated

There are 3 cats on the earlier models (05 and maybe 06) but yours only has 2. They're both technically in the downpipe, which is 2 pieces.

Catted downpipes are available and will pass smog in most if not all states.

so there is one right right after the turbo and then the other one is a foot or two after the first when the exhaust goes parallel to the ground?

Yep. Don't confuse the second cat with the resonator, though. The resonator is a bit further back.

Aftermarket DP's replace both regular cats with one high-flow unit. I doubt it's as effective for the environment, but it's enough to keep you legal.

o nice..... :) and what about if the downpipe has a bung for the 02 sensor but the further down "mid" pipe of a custome exhaust bought seperate from the short downpipe doesn't have a bung what do you do.. just ride with a check engine light till you get it tuned?

Either way, you need a Cobb Accessport or a tune.

Going catless and switching back every year is cheaper at first, but after a few years, you'll grow tired of doing the swap, replacing the expensive DP-to-turbo gasket, and flashing back to stock (so the car runs right with the stock DP) and then swapping the catless DP back, every time.

It's just easier to go with a catted DP and forget about it.

ya i was just confused about the cats... n i was reading into the cobb accessport... so turbo back exhaust catted then i plan an uppipe w possible external wastegate an intake and then an accessport and go from there..... what do you think about blow off valves? useless unless you have high high boost? and fully recirc only?

and thanks for all the wisdom o.O

Hang around the forum for a while before you make any big purchases. Get multiple opinions and find out what you want from others' good and bad experiences. It took me months of research to find out what parts to get, in what order...

And the search button is your friend. :)

Archived