LegacyGT.com

What gives you better MPG

Im gonna be obsessed soon with how to get better MPG with the gas prices like this. and right now im debating what intakes and what exhuast give me better MPG.

as you no, the 96 gt came with the l intake with out all the extra boxes and tube on the intake.. well my new 98 came with the intake that has the boxes and tubes

i was told the 96 intake makes better power(which the butt dyno confirms) but i noticed worse MPG with it.

and exhast manifolds... my new 97 comes with the =lenght headers and i have un=lenght on my old car. what makes better gasmilage

what other tips help with MPG

It's the truth. You don't buy a Subaru for gas mileage because it's sub par. But really it all depends where you live. You can do a tune-up depending on how bad the car is. That should net you 2mpg max if its in decent running order.

If it's all clogged up. You can gain a substantially big amount of MPG by doing a tune up.

As far as headers go. I am sure whichever is the most free-flowing will net the best MPG.

You gotta realize there is some criticism here.

i like these cars, just trying to save the most money so i can put it into other things like suspension and paying the loan off.

btw. the hood you want weighs 38 pounds, i was only 2 pounds off in my guess. ill have it wrapped and ready to go today.pm me baddog

the simplest thing to do for better gas mileage is also the most difficult, slow down. if you stay under 60 all the time you should improve your MPG. but if ALL or your driving is short trips in the city, slow will not help a lot.

the simplest thing to do for better gas mileage is also the most difficult, slow down. if you stay under 60 all the time you should improve your MPG. but if ALL or your driving is short trips in the city, slow will not help a lot.

TOTALLY Agree... I drive my Lego like a grandma. Slow accelerating and RARELY going over 3,000rpm (don't think I've done it since I was on the highway driving back from North Carolina actually)... I filled up on Friday and managed 27.5mpg... I'm not really sure what these things get normally, but that right there is 1.5MPG more than the best I've EVER gotten outta the STi (on the Highway no less!), so if the little Leggy can maintain similar numbers to 27 - 28+ mpg on my average week, I'll be a happy camper, and the STi can just stay in the Garage for a WHILE :)

yeah slowing down and not trying to rush will save you a good amount on gas. But a tune up on your car is always good, spark plugs, filters, changing oils, making sure you cat is in good order and easiest thing you can do is take useless junk out your trunk. I used to carry my bowling bag, full size jack and some misc stuff around but took it out.

Remove all un needed weight (spare tire, rear seats, if you do not take passengers) roof rack delete if you do not need it. Drive slowly, and less often (take bike, or walk when able) change trans and both diff fluids.

intake

exahust

neon msd coil

better plug wires

better plugs

tune

this will get you a few more MPG's

its not going to make a crazy difference so save your money on these and put in gas with it. like others said drive slow and learn to granny shift. other than that if you still want a subaru down grade to new 2.5.

SpecBGuy is right your not going to see a huge increase with the intake and stuff but a little better is still better. i have just a ebay intake (no cone or anything just the piping) i like to think it helps to smooth the air out lol. look at http://www.plustar.com they guaranteeing better mpg by at least 10% im gonna get the performance versions but im just too lazy right now

Archived