LegacyGT.com

Newbie needing advice

Hi people, this is my first post here and I have loads of things to ask.

I could probably find the answers in the search but am having no luck at the moment, so, here goes,

1. This one could be a problem, the check engine light is flashing, car seems to drive ok and if its on reduced power then its pretty swift anyway.

2. How can you tell if they have self levelling suspension?

3. Ther's a switch on the centre console, looks like it could be for a heated screen or something, but when I press it I can here a relay click somewhere near the passenger door.

That'll do for now, except to say that its a 1995 GT Wagon, japanese spec. Thats why I can't find what the switches do, everything is in Japanese in the books I have with it.

Thanks very much, Nev.

Hi aeroman, are you saying the CEL flashes continuosly while you are driving? If you do get a CEL it should stay solidly lit while driving. It should only flash when an appropriate service port pin is grounded from manually pulling the code. Does it flash only at a certain RPM? That might be detonation.

Take a pic of the button you are talking about, I also have a JDM car and am still discovering mystery functions lol.

Hi, the CEL flashes continuously after tickover. It doesn't flash when I first start the car. It isn't detonation as it does it at virtually no revs. Power wise it seems fine, no problems that I can detect. No knocking and it pulls way past 140 with no probs.

The only thing that I know is that the garage fitted a new battery and I wondered if this might be something to do with it. Maybe something needs resetting after the battery has been disconnected.

I'll take a few pics soon when I get around to it, i've only had the car since friday so haven't had chace yet. There's a few buttons that require explanations.

Remove the battery wires and touch the + and - terminals together, that will discharge everything. If you have done this there is nothing else to reset really.

I would suggest you try pulling the CEL yourself.

Ta, I'll try that this morning with the battery terminals.

I don't know what you mean about pulling the CEL myself.

I'll see if the batt terminals work first tho.

cheers, Nev.

Aeroman - assuming your car is a TT, go to the twinturbo group on yahoo. There are some very knowledgeable people on the TTs there, some of whom are in the UK.

With regard to your questions - could you please tell us what model your car is? BF (which is a single turbo), BG, BH? Turbo or NA, manual etc.

There are a couple of connectors under the steering column (usually green), that when connected make the CEL flash a code. There are a few places to find that info. Lord help you if it is a 66 ;)

Self levelling will have very obviously trick rear dampers. They also fail rather expensively, so many older cars have had them tossed for simple ones. IIRC not many GTs of any era would have had them.

The button on the centre console is likely for the heated windshield - if you look closely you should be able to see the lines at the base of the windscreen. It is deisgned for melting snow build up, rather than defrosting your windshield (although they keep the rubber wipers nice and soft when it gets cold too). The relay click is normal - on some models it switched on the mirror heating too, but usually that is another button ;) ).

HTH, and sorry for "answering" with a few questions:)

Hi,

it's a twin turbo, with RFBR on the side under the door trims, which I assume is just a trim spec.

I haven't had time to check for connectors under the column yet, may have time tomorrow. The light flashes continuously at the moment. If its a 66 what is that, I daren't try to find out!

I haven't even had chance to look at the windshield yet, but the picture does look like a wiper blade, so you are probably correct.

I'll have a look on the twinturbo group this evening if I get time at work.

Thanks for the advice and help, it is appreciated.

Nev.

"legacyb4" on yahoo is the place.

VIN plate will tell you if it is a BG5A, B or C, or BH5A, B, C, or D. The last letter is the "revision" letter that tells those who know lots about the spec, and helps us to help you:)

Bst of luck m8.

BTW, RFRB = Run Fast, Run Beautiful - a Legacy specific line of aero bits from mid-BD/BG era to BE/BH C rev. For example i have the front grill on my BE5B B4 (adds at least 50whp:D )

Cheers, I shall have a look in the morning. I'm at work now until 11pm.

That should enable those in the know to help me with power and performance specs. Thanks again, will post tomorrow.

(only 50whp for the grill !! I would have thought a lot more than that!)

Right here goes, couldn't wait until daylight. The neighbours will be wondering what I'm up to!!

Vin plate says, BG5A59D

Tranny type, TY752VBBAA

Eng, EJ20HDWAJE

These may help you to help me.

Another question, not engine related. The sunroof at the front, does it open at all, or is it fixed?

Thanks again, Nev.

Hi Nev,

OK - you've got a BG5 A rev - 250ps twin turbo. Good solid motor generally - a mate of mine used to have one (who is rather well known on here;) ). My knowledge only really starts with the BG5B, which was quite a different beast, so I'll have to bow to others.

The 66 code has been known to be an issue on that era. It is usually caused by various sensors not being able to agree that what they are seeing is kosher, they then throw a code and often kill the power (safe mode). I believe, contrary to the many nay sayers, that earthing oft has something to do with it. Since the sensors operate on small voltages, poor earthing can cause all manner of gremlins, and frankly, the earthing on early scoobs is minimal at best. Years of weather and use can reduce that to next to nothing, so a quick and dirty kit (DIY is possible too) can at least clear that up, removing it from the equation and making further diagnosis easier.

I really do suggest a visit to the legacyb4 group on yahoo - it is generally pretty quiet on there, but a call for help is usually answered by a few guys. Some owners can be found on SN (although most seem to have newer models), and there is a UK Legacy forum too.

HTH

Thanks for that.

At least I now know what spec it is, power wise.

I still haven't had chance to look for wires under the column, later in the week hopefully.

I would presume that these engines can be tuned up a bit more without too much effort, or am I wrong. It came with a nice looking Tenabe G Power Medallion exhaust which must give at least 100ps more!!! or maybe 2ps more like.

I have signed up to the legacyb4 group, but its not as user friendly in its operation, so haven't had a good look yet.

I have found that most owners seem to have newer models, but there must still be a lot of older cars out there.

Cheers, Nev.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for all the help. Eventually managed to sort the problem, or lack of.

Turned out that someone had left the green plugs connected. The flashing CEL was to say there were no problems. Unplugged, rechecked error codes and none show.

Took it out for a spin and no light flashing, result!!

Thanks all.

Archived