LegacyGT.com

Painting Stock Wheels

xero287

I eventually want to paint my wheels black since I've seen another member on here with that setup and it looks like a much cheaper alternative to buying new wheels lol. Which paint pasts the longest before peeling (because I know it'll peel eventually) and where do I buy it?

Thanks.

-Riyaad.

paint lasting would depend on how well you do prep work and how well you clean and take care of your wheels. You can choose any spray paint really but most will choose duplicolor wheel paint because its for wheels. Both can be purchased at any autoparts store. I have used both and paint usually lasts for a few years before it starts to chip a little.

I have painted stock rims on every car I have had, minus the lexus which had chrome wheels, you can't paint over chrome. I would recommend having it professionally done if you don't want to worry about chipping or flaking. I use Dupont automotive paint and have never had any chipping or flaking problems. Good luck with your project. Remember to spend the time on the prep work before painting. Paint only looks as good as the surface its painted on. The longevity of the paint also relies on the bond made!

I have painted stock rims on every car I have had, minus the lexus which had chrome wheels, you can't paint over chrome. I would recommend having it professionally done if you don't want to worry about chipping or flaking. I use Dupont automotive paint and have never had any chipping or flaking problems. Good luck with your project. Remember to spend the time on the prep work before painting. Paint only looks as good as the surface its painted on. The longevity of the paint also relies on the bond made!

Dupicolor came out with a hyper black paint that goes right over crome and makes it look hyperblack.

I had baught the hyper black and was going to paint my rims that.... Then realized you could only use it on chrOme or polished rims, mine where neither so i went with graphite

while i was talking to the guy tho, he made it seem like doing this "hyper black" was very difficult to make all the rims match.

Its a two step process, first you paint the black on to your desired darkness, then you put the shinny"clear coat" paint on.( not like most paint that you put how ever much paint you like on and it only gets so dark , then paint the clear coat) he made it seem like every coat of dark paint you put on it gets darker, so if you put a thicker coat on one rim than the other it would end up not matching

did mine back in november or so, duplicolor gloss black caliper spray. i'd used their brush-on years ago on my calipers and had been impressed with the hold-up.

they came out sharp, and held up perfectly so far through that wild winter we had. great mod for ~30 bucks.

my rims are filthy, it has been raining and mud is everywhere.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1056/rim1m.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5760/rim2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What brand paint did you use to do this? Where did you get it and is the color called just "graphite" or what? I am planning on painting my stockers on my 08 LGT this spring/summer and my car is black too. Seeing this color on your black car makes me think it might be a good color option for me.

I am interested in painting my stock rims. It seems to be the cheaper option than replacing them. What is the process to accomplishing this? I do have some curbing from the previous owner. Does that matter when painting? I am new to this and open to it. Thanks!

I am interested in painting my stock rims. It seems to be the cheaper option than replacing them. What is the process to accomplishing this? I do have some curbing from the previous owner. Does that matter when painting? I am new to this and open to it. Thanks!

This question is difficult to answer with exact answers. There are multiple processes you can use it all depends how much you want to spend and what quality you're looking for. I have seen many people use Spray cans and be satisfied me on the other hand think spray cans don't give a good finish and wouldn't waste my time with them. I used automotive tints, made black paint, and sprayed it using a spray gun and then cleared the rims. You don't have to do anything with your curb damage if you don't mind seeing it after you paint the wheels, PAINT HIDES NOTHING ANY IMPERFECTIONS WILL SHOW UP IN THE PAINT. You can fill the crub damage with bondo or some other filler and sand it smooth. Good luck with the project!

Archived