LegacyGT.com

loose front alxes. 4eat

I suppose it is possible the bearing is bad, but you would have some really bad noises coming from the front diff if that was the case, you may have damaged the splines on the stub by doing your neutral drops. try removing the stub shaft, it should just pop out with a bit of pressure, and inspect it and also inspect the splines in the CV end too.

and yes, automatic transmissions do have clutches of a sort, they are inside the transmission. they have a series of clutch packs and bands that act on different sections of a series of nested planetary gearsets to select the gear ratio, these clutches, bands, and their baskets are not designed to be engaged at full speed, the shock can shatter internals and strip the linings of bands.

yes, it just pops out. there are no forces working on the stub, up / down or in / out. all the force is rotational. plus the inner axle joint / boot has slide built into it so it will absorb any force that does exist.

extremely lifted rigs will sometimes pop out an axle while off roading. but that is because the lift changes the geometry of the axle and creates a lateral force.

The in and out and little bit of up and down play is normal. I posted a thread earlier asking about the axle stub play. Seem to be normal With subarus. When i was workin on a 2000 something subaru forestet it had the exact same movement on the axle stubs and had no leaks and drove fine. Recently ive messed with several subarus at the shop and on the lift they all had play. Im ocd about everything being perfect so it took me a while to decide to continue to fix my car because i was afraid i needed a new tranny.

Archived