LegacyGT.com

North-East OHIO 2.5GTs ? Sighting, GTGs, etc.

TSiWRX

^ From how fried my brain is at the moment ( been downstairs in "the dungeon" all day, doing electroretinograms....I'm surprised I can still see straight :lol: ), I do think what you think makes sense. :) Lemmie trace-back the route this weekend and see what I see on our "Vacation Pix," to see if there's any more clarification to be had that way.

Failing that, I/we could always ask the tech gurus! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow ok so what a night....

few things. went to hook up my boost gauge. started car, negative like 20 vac. hit the gas a bit, never got up really above 0. so being my first turbo car i imagine under load i will produce boost.

the one problem i have is for a short section inside my gauge box i built is the crappy rubber line and it totally kinks. seeing how the the t fitting that was supplied has a brass restrictor of about a pin hole that i never used, i would imagine it could never be pinched all the way closed.

so a funny story.....

it now gets dark super early. so i go into the garage at my apartment and close the door behind me. the lights usually come on around 6. so i am working and just pull out my gauges and dont disconnect the power etc etc and hear a huge pop followed by a flash. i start freaking out thinking i blew a main fuse. i couldnt find it. car started.

later i found out, it was the light bulb that blew. doh.

^ That reminds me of the makeshift conditions I used to have to work in, when we also lived in an apartment. :lol:

Don't worry about the gauge readings, you're exactly right, under load, you'll see boost. I'm sure you've already found this out on your morning drive. :D

-19 to -20 mm Hg (typical, at idle) is pretty much where we all are (stock motor) for vac. There will be a little variation depending on engine temperature and what accessories you're running (which in turn will also be related to ambient conditions), but that's about right, and completely normal.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

ok so cool took it for a drive. boost peaks at what looks like 14/15psi. when it is up there for a while, once i take my foot off the gas my gauge or something makes a strange rattle. doesnt looks like an air leak. but a rattle. interesting.

^ The gauge is making a rattle?

I unfortunately don't have the connection speed to run an efficient search, but I'll give it a try over the next day or so. This is usually indicative of something to do with the gauge/line, and there is a "cure" for it, if I remember correctly.

i have a feeling it is the 1" of soft flex line that i used. it is so pinched i definitely know it. it is only when i let off the gas at full boost. also sometimes when i take off and the car stutters b/c i dont give it enough gas.

Isnt the little hose on the recirc valve the vacuum hose that opens the valve? And you do have the big hose correct, that is where all the air is dumped. I believe if you take the small hose off, the valve doesnt open at all. Rattles suck in general. Trying to find rattles really stinks. Where did you mount your boost gauge? We need to try to meet up sometime, I wish I would of seen you when you were at Lowes I would of stopped. BMS if you have any questions about what to buy or not buy, feel free to ask, cause I know TSi and myself have bought or tried different things on our cars.

^ That makes sense in terms of that smaller line. Something's gotta tell the BPV when to bypass..... :) My mechanical knowledge, sadly, is only skin deep. :redface:

And speaking of that limitation, here's what I searched-up regarding the gauge flutter -->

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61924&highlight=boost+gauge+flutter

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13370&highlight=boost+gauge+flutter

The use of a restrictor pill, as described within the first thread, is what I'd remembered from some past reading. I haven't been too successful in digging up further details on this particular remedy, but here's something to get you started off with:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67788&highlight=boost+gauge+restrictor+pill

The only flutter I see on my AutoMeter NEXUS is from the wastegate. I am not sure if the electronic nature of my gauge is dampening this, or if the location of my tap (which is described in the second reference thread) may just be less "noisy."

I'm still not quite sure what you said about the "rattle," though - you're saying that it's making a noise, but the way I'm reading it is that it is also fluttering (i.e. the needle is fluttering). I may be leading you astray, if I'm not reading your posts correctly! My bad! :redface:

Isnt the little hose on the recirc valve the vacuum hose that opens the valve? And you do have the big hose correct, that is where all the air is dumped. I believe if you take the small hose off, the valve doesnt open at all. Rattles suck in general. Trying to find rattles really stinks. Where did you mount your boost gauge? We need to try to meet up sometime, I wish I would of seen you when you were at Lowes I would of stopped. BMS if you have any questions about what to buy or not buy, feel free to ask, cause I know TSi and myself have bought or tried different things on our cars.

i molded my own pod up into my left a-pillar right above the lil vent on the dash. got it painted DMG. I have one more of these glassed that i am not going to do crap with. a lil bondo and some paint or vinyl and it will be good to use.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/DSCF2454.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/DSCF2451.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/gauge/DSCF2396.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/gauge/DSCF2394.jpg

^ That makes sense in terms of that smaller line. Something's gotta tell the BPV when to bypass..... :) My mechanical knowledge, sadly, is only skin deep. :redface:

And speaking of that limitation, here's what I searched-up regarding the gauge flutter -->

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61924&highlight=boost+gauge+flutter

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13370&highlight=boost+gauge+flutter

The use of a restrictor pill, as described within the first thread, is what I'd remembered from some past reading. I haven't been too successful in digging up further details on this particular remedy, but here's something to get you started off with:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67788&highlight=boost+gauge+restrictor+pill

The only flutter I see on my AutoMeter NEXUS is from the wastegate. I am not sure if the electronic nature of my gauge is dampening this, or if the location of my tap (which is described in the second reference thread) may just be less "noisy."

I'm still not quite sure what you said about the "rattle," though - you're saying that it's making a noise, but the way I'm reading it is that it is also fluttering (i.e. the needle is fluttering). I may be leading you astray, if I'm not reading your posts correctly! My bad! :redface:

no no this is dead on. it is def a flutter. the gauge itself makes the noise b/c the needle bounces really fast when between like12 and 15lbs. it doesnt bounce all over the place but really a fast back and forth of about a needle's width. it does it too when i start off in 1st at below 1K when the engine kinda studders to start moving the gauge flutters and makes a ticking/fluttering/etc... i did take out that "pill" by not using the supplied T. i mean come on, that is just too small to fit any line and i dont like plastic for high pressure stuff. so, screw it, i think i will just live w/ it.

^ Nice! :)

What's the switchgear for?

cryO2 CO2 intercooler sprayer :) emm, cold at the push of a button. top one is the arming switch. blue one is to spray. there is also a WOT switch u can install under the gas ped, but i dont b/c i dont track the car.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/cry02/DSCF2434.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/DSCF2455.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/bms231/subaru/DSCF2457.jpg

Cool! Glad to have been able to spot that one for ya! :D

----

That's also a really awesome CryO2 setup! Did you make that mount for the bottle yourself? That's sweeeeet!

----

I'll have to check my schedule for this weekend - I think I may be able to swing lunch, but the timing with Anna probably wouldn't work out for dinner..... :redface:

I usually work on the weekends. 12-8 sat, and 12-5 sundays. It takes a lot of C02 to cool an intercooler. I have tried. You can use up probably half that bottle just getting it cold one time. But it does depend on how hot it is outside. But then if its not hot outside you really dont need to use C02 to cool the intercooler.

Also, if you find a different place to plug the boost gauge in you wont get the flutter. Where did you plug your vacuum line in? Or did you say it was coming from the T fitting? I have an STI boost gauge on my car, and I have never had any problems with it. Umm there was something else I was going to mention.. i cant remember now. OH! your gauge display in the dash are different then mine. I thought that was interesting. Atleast it looks different, may just be the light.

That's also a really awesome CryO2 setup! Did you make that mount for the bottle yourself? That's sweeeeet!

yes sir. 100% built from the ground up. i got into fiberglassing recentlly it is a pita to do but looks awesome when done.

I usually work on the weekends. 12-8 sat, and 12-5 sundays. It takes a lot of C02 to cool an intercooler. I have tried. You can use up probably half that bottle just getting it cold one time. But it does depend on how hot it is outside. But then if its not hot outside you really dont need to use C02 to cool the intercooler.

Also, if you find a different place to plug the boost gauge in you wont get the flutter. Where did you plug your vacuum line in? Or did you say it was coming from the T fitting? I have an STI boost gauge on my car, and I have never had any problems with it. Umm there was something else I was going to mention.. i cant remember now. OH! your gauge display in the dash are different then mine. I thought that was interesting. Atleast it looks different, may just be the light.

i put it no the air recirc hose on top of the air recirc valve. i t-ed into that and ran hard poly line all the way inside to the gauge cept for that one little section of soft line right behind the gauge.

^ Unfortunately not me - I don't get out to the far-east-side much. :(

My best is that it was brother what? -> was it a dual-tip (quad total) exhaust? That's him! :D

---

bms231 and what? - That's what I'd figured as well, that the noise is either coming from the gauge itself (less likely, other than a true mechanical failure) or the tap location, which is more likely, based on the reports/results cited in the reference threads. Two choices, the way I see it - either do the restrictor-pill mod or splice into the alternate position.

---

what? - Yep, bro, indeed, that's a different cluster look than on our '05s. I think (although I can't be totally sure) that the revision began with the '07s, and there were some very minor changes already in-place by '06.

^ I'll try to remember, but I'm *horrible* with names. :redface:

I'm Allen. :)

Wifey is Sara. The 20-month-old kiddo is Anna.

You had your 20 month old on the roof? ha ha, was it like a Michael Jackson reenactment?

My name is Ron.. I kinda like being called Brother What? though. Especially when someone types what? at the end of a line.. like, "I bet it was what?" then anyone who doesnt know my name is what? is like, who?

I Saw a blue 2.5 GT on Sun. at about 10:40 in the morning on route 306 in Mentor. I know you had at least an exhaust done, so some modding going on there. Let me know, and howdy!

How'd it sound? Its pretty loud, but I love how it sounds when I am at WOT. I am guessing that was you behind me. I have a "couple" mods done on my car. I am still missing a few important ones though, like a 20g. I dont think I will ever have money for a turbo upgrade though. Especially when I have to keep paying for my car breaking.