LegacyGT.com

North-East OHIO 2.5GTs ? Sighting, GTGs, etc.

TSiWRX

"Brother What?" ha ha, I think thats kinda funny. thanks Brother TSi+WRX.

And why do you want to go to the westside?? you mean the east side?? all the cool LGT people live on the eastside yo!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, west/east, I'm all jumbled up today!

---

Sorry 'bout the "bruddah" thing - I come from a hobbyist community where we're all really tight, and tend to really be brothers and sisters. :) I just lapse into that. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

"Brother What?" ha ha, I think thats kinda funny. thanks Brother TSi+WRX.

And why do you want to go to the westside?? you mean the east side?? all the cool LGT people live on the eastside yo!

I don't speak up often around here... I'm just on too many different lists/boards with not enough time to contribute in any meaningful way. Be thankful.

I grew up on the east side, but moved to the southwest side due to some spousal... persuasion. Yeah, that's it.

In the meantime, there was a gray '06 (I think) sedan this morning that I diced with on I-77 south towards Akron. I'm sorry to say that he schooled me. Either he's had some work done on his car, or mine sucks.

I'd guess that we both grabbed 4th gear and mashed on it -- unless his is an automatic. He left me for dead.

Weird.

:confused:

legacy2005 is a fellow LGTer from Columbus, but he does fit the description:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62321

Of the LGTs that we know of which are sometimes in this area, I believe that he is, so far, the most extensively upgraded.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

legacy2005 is a fellow LGTer from Columbus, but he does fit the description:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62321

Of the LGTs that we know of which are sometimes in this area, I believe that he is, so far, the most extensively upgraded.

This was an all-stock looking charcoal gray. So maybe it was an '07. I regret to admit that I haven't kept up on the LGTs after I got mine.

I got it 9/05, and it was tricky to find. I specifically wanted an ABP wagon with black leather. 57k miles later, I (mostly) still really like it. Being my 5th Subaru, I'm not suprised at some of the typical niggling BS.

A good friend of mine just got a new Audi S4 Avant. It's really, really nice. But I don't think it like it more than twice as much as my car.

:)

Hum......

I do apologize, I can't seem to remember, is your GT stock?

Have you datalogged recently?

Hum......

I do apologize, I can't seem to remember, is your GT stock?

Have you datalogged recently?

I've *never* datalogged because:

1. I don't know how to.

2. I don't know what it'll do for me.

:)

I know there there has to be a myriad of information on this matter here on this board. I've just never committed the time to looking for it.

Work, family, yardwork, other hobbies...

'Ya know...

anyone doing anything this sunday? i hope and pray that tomorrow my 3 projects are back from paint. i hope they look good too. maybe saturday i can finally wire up my boost gauge. screw subaru.. i had to get 5/16" hose for the air recirc hose bc they couldnt find the right part number.... that or their hose is made out of gold b/c it costs 37.50.

^ Wish I could help, bro, but I've got the baby to myself all weekend! Not that it's a bad thing, but it's just that she takes my full attention, now that she's sooooooo interactive!

---

music - You were wondering if your car was running out-of-specs, that's why I suggested the datalog.

Although I'm also a novice at viewing datalogs, it can show, even to a hack like me, at a quick glance, if something is OUTRIGHT not Kosher (i.e. way-off target-boost, bad IAM, etc.).

Although the vast majority of factory-stock LGTs and WRXs run happy-as-a-clam nearly 100% of the time, it's still possible that a combination of "skunked gas," plus our recent weather swings, could have caused your ECU to pull-in some of the power-making parameters after having detected what it thought could've been knock-like events, thus keeping you from hitting full power.

The "how-to" is really easy, there's actually a walk-through:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20090

It should take you a little less than an hour to get fully up-to-speed, using the suggestions and recommendations from that thread. I think I figured-out how to datalog Winky during routine visits to the Man Throne (the White Porcelain God, aka, the toilet), over the course of a week or so. ;):lol:

If you need a cable, I have one that you can borrow, but just know that it is v1.2, so although you'd be able to datalog and even reflash using it, it's not the latest firmware.

For the '05s, the factory brochure advertises 5.8 seconds, 0 to 60, for a 2.5GT sedan with 5MT, USAC-certified. No disclosure of whether or not the vehicle was a Limited trim or otherwise, and similarly, no disclosure of fuel level, etc.

It's widely speculated that SOA cite these figures in order to preserve a wider gap to the more popularly perceived "performance-oriented" WRX, which they in-turn, in the same year, advertised a 5MT using the "best-of-published-media" figures from a 2001 C&D test - 5.4 seconds.

Around mid-fives sounds about right to me, and if you look at the various popular media reviews, there's anything from a 5.1 for a '06 SpecB. to 6.0 for the same (albeit '07), so I'd put anywhere within about that range to be about right.

cool beans. thanks for the explanation.

i just checked my oil today too. put 1500 miles on all city since my last oil change. in the first 2500 miles i didnt have to add a drop. i checked the oil i think two weeks ago. maybe three. level was up near F. I check it today, level half way. i had to add 1/2 quart to get it up to just below F. what the deuce? i read some people have some serious oil consumption issues. i am running dino castrol 5w-30.

^ What the deuce, indeed!??!!?

Was this the first time that you ran this particular oil?

Any sign of leakage (i.e. cross-threaded drain bolt or filter)?

Any significant changes in driving habits?

^ What the deuce, indeed!??!!?

Was this the first time that you ran this particular oil?

Any sign of leakage (i.e. cross-threaded drain bolt or filter)?

Any significant changes in driving habits?

yes first oil change for the new car. only 4K miles on the clock. oil was changed at 2500. i dont think there was any real difference in driving style. i did drive it a tad bit harder. the one thing i have been doing for the past few weeks is if i am in 4th at 45 i wont change to 5th b/c in 1/2 mile i will have to stop again. so riding the gears a little higher.

i checked the drain plug and filter after i drove 170 miles back from columbus ohio. no signs of leaks or anything back then. i could check again. probably not till tomorrow. there are no pools of oil under the car but then again that damn plastic is there.

The first thing that I'd say would be to try another oil, and see if your car just doesn't "take" to it better.

There's a lot of good science that goes with engine lubrication, but there's also a lot of "black magic" and folk belief, too, and I wouldn't discount *either* side of that equation. :)

For me, for whatever reason, the car does great in terms of oil consumption on Mobil1 5W30 and 10W30 - for nearly a year, I ran both at one time or another, and never noted any consumption at all.

Yet, my car seems to "take" better, overall, to the near-magical "German" full-synthetic Castrol 0W30, with more steady and more predictable oil pressures. Strangely enough, I get about a quarter to one-third quart consumption per OIC.

Go figure.

As for the leak, definitely, pull that undertray off and see if there's any signs of an active, but small/slow, leak. That's indeed a lot of plastic under there, and in most cases, many small leaks, particularly in the beginning, will not manifest as puddles (or even drops) under the vehicle, due to the tray essentially serving as a collector (under the filter).

----

IMPORTANT:

I just re-read your post above. I didn't realize that this was the car's first oil change! :)

Actually, don't worry too much. You may notice a considerable decrease in consumption as your engine wears-in a bit more. I'd definitely keep an eye on things, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it, either.

If you continue to see consumption, you may want to change to a different oil to start with (after verifying that you don't have a leak, of course), and see if that doesn't improve things.

But honestly, your car's still very green, it could simply get better as the miles get on. :)

ah cool yea that is what i am hoping too. i may have beat on it in those two weeks i dunno. i also find that when the oil gets low it seems a car consumes it faster. probably b/c there is less to dissipate heat which causes it to break down faster.

tonight i beat the crap outta my car for the first time since owning it. i put 2nd into redline zone. this was after filling the oil do we will see tomorrow morning if there is a big loss or what.

^ Hopefully not. :)

I put Winky up on the dyno a couple of times with M1 (as well as did most of my harder driving) and like I said, she never saw any consumption.

I find it strange that with the "magical" GC, I'm seeing rather consistent consumption, despite all other evidence pointing to this oil being "better" for the car.

I'd imagine that you'd be running what would essentially be a vent-to-atmosphere BOV...... And that the percentage "vented" would determine on the damage to the hose, or, if the hose came off completely, that you'd essentially be running akin to a full vent-to-atmosphere scenario (with one caveat).

I think that the big problem there is that the damage - if it is a "split" in the hose - would cause a rather unpredictable leak, making your car run rougher than it should as the ECU just wouldn't know what to expect. Are you getting any un-due "pops and burbles" on the overrun from coming off-throttle? Any un-characteristic bucking/shudders when you're shifting?

What I can't figure out is how the car would behave if your hose did indeed just come off. Since most full-vent BOV kits require "capping" of the return line, I don't know what this leak - from having a hose that's totally unconnected - would do to the running behavior of the vehicle. Hopefully, someone with more experience than me can help you on this. :redface: My apologies!

That leads to more questions, what is the hose at the bottom of the recirc? THere is the big one on the bottom, and the small one on the top. I thought the small one that u tap for a boost gauge let the ecu control boost. I dunno though.

Right now nothing is wrong. The reason I asked the question is b/c I ran line for my boost gauge last week. The soft rubber stuff they gave was not long enough and was very very very easy to pinch. I can't have pinching in a boost line. So I got the hard white plastic line they often use to run water. I saw some guy use it on here. The problem is, when i cram it onto my 1/4" barbs, the line goes on, but in less than 12 hours developes stress cracks then eventually splits and falls off. I have not hooked up the system and noticed that right before I was about to. I wanted to know if it ever broke what the drivability or symptoms would be.

That leads to more questions, what is the hose at the bottom of the recirc? THere is the big one on the bottom, and the small one on the top. I thought the small one that u tap for a boost gauge let the ecu control boost. I dunno though.

I believe you're right - that the small "top" hose either leads to or comes from some kind of sensor - I can't confirm this 100%, either :redface: my knowledge fails here, too. This would be a question to ask on the technical sub-Forum, for sure. :)

The bottom "big" one is for recirculation "dump."

yea see that is what i figured about the big one.

i bought the little one from subaru last night. 47.50. it starts out about 5/16" up top where it hits the recircl then is about 16" long and does all kinds of curves and ends up being like 1/8". the way it is curved, it almost looks like it goes and connects to something below the intake manifold above the block. that would make sense though b/c it would be controlling the amount of boost being bled through based on the amount of pressure in the manifold. so in theory if that hose disconnects, there is nothing to force the recirc valve open? at least that is my train of thought.