LegacyGT.com

Rear strut replacement in a 2006 Outback

Guess just to say that the springs were done. When I used to wheel my land rovers I always made it a point to change everything at once. Not to mention car is 6 years old and probably had a little sag. Subaru coils was cheap at $36 each. Parts guy said I don't have to but...oh well its done

Stock tires. Gonna try to fill that gap with either some 16" rims with General Grabbers AT2 or just throw some Geolander AT on the stock 17''. Just waiting cause I have brand new Pirelle P4 all seasons on now that did great this winter in the North East. As for measurments center of wheel to fender lip on a pretty close flat ground is 18 3/4'' rear and 17 3/4'' front. Hope this help. Dont have alignment numbers. Got it from a shop that didnt have print outs. Going to get it realigned after I do my tie rod ends.

Personally I'd go with the Geolandar A/T-S in the 225-60-17 size (27.6" tall), wish I had 17's myself...

The alignment numbers you want to shoot for are

0* toe all-around

-.75 to -1.0 Negative Camber Front

-1.0 to - 1.5 Negative Camber Rear

0* cross camber

As much positive caster as you can get with offset LCA bushings.

I'm curious what numbers he is able to get. With the 1" lift I think it's going to be difficult to achieve 0.0* camber front or rear without aftermarket adjustment kits. This is something I am trying to figure out before deciding on the path I want to take, as I want to be able to get to -0.5* camber front and rear..

If he wants to go with larger tires, using offset LCA bushings to gain castor might not work for him, as it moves the front tire forward in the process, causing clearance (rubbing) issues with larger tires..

Guess just to say that the springs were done. When I used to wheel my land rovers I always made it a point to change everything at once. Not to mention car is 6 years old and probably had a little sag. Subaru coils was cheap at $36 each. Parts guy said I don't have to but...oh well its done

What Land Rovers (I have a '95 D-90 in the Garage, and had a '95 Discovery, both built a bit)? And where did you source OEM Springs for $36 ea?

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

I had a 99 Range HSE and a 98 Discovery. I miss the disco the range gave up way to many gremlins for me. Both had 3" lifts and other wheeling things. Diff gaurds skids.... My wife have a 04 Freelander that's been pretty reliable despite what people say about them. Looking for a range classic. I got oem springs from subarupartsforyou.com

IMG00078-20100106-1604.thumb.jpg.0fcdd0513a4436380a77af2429d64377.jpg

IMG00075-20100106-1603.thumb.jpg.d0ba950e96badaf715b3a3d8fd0f9eb6.jpg

IMG00058-20100406-1306.thumb.jpg.763d3e91dfd07f8ccfb572d9bfaad650.jpg

11434_196500236907_626006907_4106717_566413_n.jpg.4451583ae82260a603d16e07d3188a62.jpg

And where did you source OEM Springs for $36 ea?\

I was curious about that myself and was looking for something else on one of the online Subaru parts vendors and did a search. Price for the OEM springs was under $37, I expect plus shipping.

I had a 99 Range HSE and a 98 Discovery. I miss the disco the range gave up way to many gremlins for me. Both had 3" lifts and other wheeling things. Diff gaurds skids.... My wife have a 04 Freelander that's been pretty reliable despite what people say about them. Looking for a range classic. I got oem springs from subarupartsforyou.com

LWB or Standard? Any Year Preference? There are nice ones out there, just have to stay vigilant on the boards.

Couple of Nice Ones that Sold recently:

'95 Epsom Green, Supercharged, 130K Miles

'95 Classic LWB, Apline White, 139K miles

More:

'95 Classic, 92K Miles, OME Lift, Bumper, Rear True Trac

1993 Classic LWB w/ TDi Conversion

'95 Classic LWB 25th Ann. Edition, 116K Miles

Photo's of my D-90 and Old Disco..

DadsToy1.jpg.6b2fe7be88e4f7a3f84b0ab8d13e9447.jpg

DadsToy2.jpg.21ffbb19ececcf6d80425d662bc1422a.jpg

DadsToy3.jpg.7c516cb082d23f6fb6a635abdda3a842.jpg

OurDisco1.thumb.jpg.986e462479320cea9dd643a25da941f3.jpg

I'm getting ready to place my order for a set of KYG GR2's and along with them I see listed the bellows ad a shock mount kit. I haven't looked at the ones on the car yet to see what condition they are in but am wondering if I should just buy new ones all around and just replace everything while everything is apart.

So far the best deal I've found is either KYB Outlet or AJUSA. There's about $20 difference between them depending on what I actually order (one has a 5% off coupon and the other is a flat $20). Has anybody had a remarkably good or poor experience with either of these or is there someplace else I should shop for even a better deal?

Thanks for the great info on this thread everyone, and links "05 OB 2.5i"

Looking forward to getting my KYB GR2's and overload springs installed this weekend. Actually, bought my items on amazon (had gift certs). I have the prime membership also, and can get items shipped for free within 2 days if in stock.

Down the road in middlefield. Not sure the rear KYB G2 will cut it. I ordered a pair of Koni Sports, so I can play around or slow the rebound.

forgot to take pics, GTTuner was busy doing the install, and I was doing the mothers clay bar and waxing. Looks cool w/ red rear springs.

No, the rear rallitek springs and new G2's raised it about an 1/8-3/16 inch on right side and and about 3/16-1/4 on the left side. It says in the ralitek instructs to take a measurement again in two weeks.

I want to try the Konis(adjustable rebound) to slow down the rebound. It's still pogoing too much.

I also tow a motorcycle trailer and haul the occasional bags of wood pellets and water softner salt. Why I bought the springs.

So did you lower your Outback then?

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

No, the rear rallitek springs and new G2's raised it about an 1/8-3/16 inch on right side and and about 3/16-1/4 on the left side. It says in the ralitek instructs to take a measurement again in two weeks.

I want to try the Konis(adjustable rebound) to slow down the rebound. It's still pogoing too much.

What Koni's are you using that support the stock height/ suspension travel? Which GR-2's did you use (the 341443 '05-'09 or the 341276 '00-'04 GR-2's) that you don't feel are sufficient?

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

What Koni's are you using that support the stock height/ suspension travel?

+1 on this. If there is in fact an adjustable option for the OBXT that keeps it ~ stock height I ordered my KYB's too soon by about 2 days. :confused: Still holding off on the Rallitek Overloads hoping for a coupon or bit of a discount to materialize before I really need them.

What Koni's are you using that support the stock height/ suspension travel? Which GR-2's did you use (the 341443 '05-'09 or the 341276 '00-'04 GR-2's) that you don't feel are sufficient?

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Had selective reading, and mistook the Koni decription "excl" as incl spec b and outback. Sorry, No go.

341443 '05-'09- i dont think are sufficient. Is there really that much difference with the 341276?

So is that it for shock options on a budget?

GTTuner? Is that a shop or someone that does work on the side. I do all my installs but never know when you might need a hand

GTTuner(Paul) is a great mechanic in RI that does alot of subaru work on the side. If there was a job you could not do, and want it done right, shoot Paul an email.

I am limited to working in my driveway, so timewise it was easier for me to drive to RI to get the work done. Also, I was able to watch, learn, and clay bar and wax my car all at the same time.

see:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ri-ma-ct-installs-106605p21.html

341443 '05-'09- i dont think are sufficient. Is there really that much difference with the 341276?

Seems to be, yes, try these linked threads in my earlier post for more information..

So is that it for shock options on a budget?

Pretty much the only options, other than coil overs, even the JDM Bilstein kit availability seems to be drying up, but it certainly wasn't an economical option anyway..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Archived