LegacyGT.com

Winter Tires and TPMS

AFig36

I have an '11 3.6 and just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rs for next winter (I heard the OEM Turanzas aren't great on the snow/ice, and I could say the same about the Potenzas on my '08 Impreza).

My question for the group is: The recommended PSI for the Nokians is 41--well above what's recommended for the Turanzas (which I'm guessing is around 30-32 although I haven't checked). How will this work with/affect the TPMS?

From what I've read online (which may or may not be accurate), some TPMS systems seem to be set for a specific PSI, in which case I might need to have them recalibrated--if that's possible. Other systems instead seem to monitor for constant pressure between all four (4) tires, and only send a warning when there's a discrepancy between them. In this situation, I think I'd be okay as long as I had all 4 inflated to the same 41 PSI.

Any thoughts on how works on the '11 Legacy?

I think they monitor differential pressures, so you should be fine.

Plenty of folks run in the high 30psi range without TPMS faults.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

In trying to dig up where I saw this, it turns out I confused maximum PSI with recommended, which I know is different. Also, it wasn't specific to the Nokians. The specs of the tire are 225/50R 17 XL.

What I saw was over on TireRack (although I actually bought the tires from Discount Tire Direct), they said that XLs has a max psi of 41. I don't actually know what the recommended psi is, or for the Nokians specifically.

P-Metric Passenger Vehicle Tires

Load Ranges Abbreviated Max Load Pressure

Light Load LL 35 psi (240 kPa)*

Standard Load Nothing or SL 35 psi (240 kPa)*

Extra Load XL 41 psi (280 kPa)*

*In an effort to internationally harmonize load ratings and ranges, recently introduced and future LL, SL and XL P-Metric sizes will use ISO/Euro-metric maximum load pressures of 36 or 42 psi

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Archived