LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy broke down already

I have been sitting on the side of the road for an hour and a half waiting for this tow truck. I was driving home on 395 and all of a sudden I realized my temp gauge was through the roof. Pull off the highway and coolant POURED outta my car. I changed the oil toda and was actually happy to see it was antifreeze not oil pouring out. I'm trying to look on the bright side in tha I needed an alignment anyway so at least it will be going to the garage. And I am praying its just a hose.

FML! I bought this car 3 days ago... I hope this isn't a preview of things to come.....

Yeah - buying a used 2nd Gen Legacy GT/Outback is a crap-shoot unless you know how it's been maintained, by whom, from day 1. Hopefully, wherever you bought it will warranty it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This is the problem when people buy cars they don't research.

Mileage? Have the headgaskets been replaced? You bought a 2.5 they tend to go out, the headgaskets do.

I did research it and I was aware of the risk but it was a single owner from Greenwich, CT. It has 107,000 on the clock and he had nearly every scheduled maintenance done to the vehicle.

Yeah - buying a used 2nd Gen Legacy GT/Outback is a crap-shoot unless you know how it's been maintained, by whom, from day 1. Hopefully, wherever you bought it will warranty it.

Yah I am not thinking so, I bought it as is from a used car dealership. If that's what it ends up being I will ask them to pay for it, or at least help me pay for it since I have had it for three days. But who knows...

When is yer alignment appointment?

Its at the garage now. I just called him and told him to give me a call when they figure out why the hell it was overheating. And if its just a hose or something easy I told him to do an alignment, but we will see...

I did research it and I was aware of the risk but it was a single owner from Greenwich, CT. It has 107,000 on the clock and he had nearly every scheduled maintenance done to the vehicle.

Yah I am not thinking so, I bought it as is from a used car dealership. If that's what it ends up being I will ask them to pay for it, or at least help me pay for it since I have had it for three days. But who knows...

See what the dealership says. And all the maintenance that was done to it. Do you know if a Subaru Dealership did the work or some shop?

some states have lemon laws. you get 3 days to return on any car purchase. i'd tell the seller you want ot return it and if you really like the car re-negotiate the deal.

what did you pay for it.

there is almost no chance that the seller didn't know the gaskets were bad. you were cheated. if you do not get satisfaction, i'd protest out in front of the dealer ship with a sign saying they sold you a bad car. if they lose customers because of your sign it won't take long for them to compromise.

good luck.

Glad to hear it's minor - at least on the surface. That said, it could still be blown headgasket(s) and they're just "stretching" out their liability timeline and hoping to get it off their lot so it can expire...sorry, don't mean to be negative, just really frustrated by these shysters.

Hopefully, they replaced it with a genuine Subaru thermostat, Subaru coolant and Subaru conditioner (requires all three) or this will happen again. Also, make sure they know what they're doing about bleeding air from the coolant system...Subarus are very different due to their horizontal layout. If they don't do it right, you will end up with hot spots and potentially blown head gaskets.

Glad to hear it's minor - at least on the surface. That said, it could still be blown headgasket(s) and they're just "stretching" out their liability timeline and hoping to get it off their lot so it can expire...sorry, don't mean to be negative, just really frustrated by these shysters.

Hopefully, they replaced it with a genuine Subaru thermostat, Subaru coolant and Subaru conditioner (requires all three) or this will happen again. Also, make sure they know what they're doing about bleeding air from the coolant system...Subarus are very different due to their horizontal layout. If they don't do it right, you will end up with hot spots and potentially blown head gaskets.

I was looking through my paperwork and I bought the car AS IS so I didnt even bother with the place I bought it from. I took it to the garage I always goto and trust. And I hear what you're saying. He did tell me that they bleeded the air out.

That's good to hear. Hopefully, they had a Subaru FSM and followed those procedures to a "T", and used genuine Subaru coolant and conditioner...?

That's good to hear. Hopefully, they had a Subaru FSM and followed those procedures to a "T", and used genuine Subaru coolant and conditioner...?

I honestly dont know but I will definitely give him a call tomorrow. I have been friend's with the owner's son since middle school.

the 00 - 03 2.5L engines have tend to have an external head gasket leak as opposed to the internal leak of the late 90s. and to help avoid the leak subau calls for a special ''conditioner'' be added to the coolant. it is required if you want your car covered by their warranty, i think. (if there still is a warranty.)

the conditioner is pretty cheap, <$5, subaru label and works. i have even heard of it stopping a leak after it started. i have also heard it is actually a ''holts'' product. it has HOLTS embossed on the bottle.

but i have not heard of it saving head gaskets from the 90s with internal leaks.

At this stage of the game, and not knowing what was in it previously, I'd give it a tentative yes to other than genuine Subaru coolant. That said, if you have records that show that it was maintained by the dealer since new with Subaru coolant, I'd stay with it for two reasons

1) It's specially formulated for the aluminum alloy in your engine and cooling system

2) You're maintaining the chemical similarity to previous Subaru coolant, which you wouldn't have with another brand/type

I have one specific instance where my coolant was changed on my car (my daughter was having it serviced and didn't think to check) . Within a few weeks, sediment was apparent in the cooling system as the new coolant was leaching internals metals out of the block and into the radiator. I ended up replacing my radiator after that one due to the high animine content. There's an Endwrench article about it in the Coolant thread.

Archived