LegacyGT.com

Help! Rear Strut Install Direction?

nemo

So I've been driving around (after doing a spring install) and have a slight clunk from the rear. Just jacked the car up and took the wheels off to see that the rear struts are installed differently (yeah, I'm an idiot...)

Anyways, can someone tell me which direction the rear strut is supposed to be installed? I believe the spring seat should be facing in, not towards the exterior of the car. Can someone confirm this?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l263/smccorry/H-tech%20spring%20install/RearH-techassembly.jpg

^ pic from mccorry's install... should the spring seat -- where the spring stops, and sits be facing in.. or out?

:redface::redface::redface:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Tighten the strut top nut. That's the reason for 99% of rear strut clunks.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yup -- i believe so. Just ran through everything (without taking the strut out) and it's all nice and tight. I can't tighten the top nut anymore. It doesn't clunk on all bumps... it's more on ruts, like an abrupt bump.

I did the install towards the end of last summer, and the clunking started around late fall/early winter. I'm wondering if it's the RSB Brackets and not the springs?

The sways/endlinks seem solid (although the sway bar is moving horizontally -- I need to order some collars to solve that issue).

Pretty sure it's the RSB Reinforcement brackets. I think the 19mm crossmember bolt isn't tightened down enough.

Archived