LegacyGT.com

Newbie with standard cars

randomhero426

I had a 4EAT 07 legacy for about 5 months and came across a 06 LGT 5MT for a decent price.

This is my first manual transmission car and don't have anything to base the clutch pedal against. But I was wondering if it is normal to have to press it all the way to the floor before it will engage to be able to shift.

Oh and dont worry I had a good friend teach me how to drive standard :lol:...its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Didnt your friend who taught you to drive standard teach you how it is supposed to feel? (not sarcsam) Go get a friend who knows how to drive STICK to drive your car. Dont call it a standard you are not 70 years old and manual/stick transmissions are anything but "standard" anymore.

Seriously GET YOUR FRIEND to drive your car!!! Your clutch may just need adjustment. Ideally it is in the middle but when installing my new clutch it was at the very top and now is in the middle. I remember my oem clutch being in the middle. Again this is something that can be bled, adjusted, etc unless your clutch is toast. GET YOUR FRIEND TO DRIVE YOUR CAR and give you a diagnostic or see an independant mechanic before that warranty is up. For $20-50 to go over the entire vehicle is well worth the peace of mind bro.

If the clutch engages very, very low (i.e. when your car is in 1st already, and you start lifting your foot the clutch begins engaging almost immediately) that can mean your clutch is on the way out the door too.

If the clutch engages very, very low (i.e. when your car is in 1st already, and you start lifting your foot the clutch begins engaging almost immediately) that can mean your clutch is on the way out the door too.

Then mine has been on the way out for the last 65,000 miles :lol:

They're all going to be a little bit different. Some will be quite light, others will be quite heavy. Some will engage low, some will engage high. Just the way it is.

I said VERY low. Not just semi-low, or kind of low. I mean less than an inch off the floor low. My car always had a low and stiff clutch from when I bought it used with about 38K miles on it. But it got progressively lower and lower. I hardly even realized from my day to day driving that it was that low until I consciously thought about it. Not very long after I noticed that, it started slipping.... Also, I had got to stage 2 at the time. :)

Archived