LegacyGT.com

slipping clutch

blk_wagon.GT

so. . . my clutch is slipping on 5th gear when i gun it.. . it wouldn't be so surprising, but i replaced it about year ago (~15k miles)

my current set up is Excedy stage 2 clutch (3puck) and 08 wrx flywheel

my car doesn't have any power mods

is it possible that clutch would go bad so quickly ? ?

i want to go stage 2 this spring but i need good clutch ..

any help would be appreciated

1) Puck clutches are bad in every sense of the word. They wreck transmissions, and are almost all but undrivable in stop-and-go. They grip like a bastard, but they punish you daily for it. I drove on an unsprung 4-puck with a lightweight flywheel for a little while. It was dreadful. 6-pucks are better, but they will still put the transmission at pretty high risk.

2) The 3-puck isn't a "stage-2" clutch. It's more like "stage-6". It might have had a "stage-2" pressure plate though. To put it bluntly, it's too much clutch for even the most built of Subarus. Most of the really high power single-plate drag race guys run unsprung 6-pucks, and swap out discs every few months.

3) Never just replace the disc, unless you are only going to drag race the car.

4) Get something full-face. An ACT HDSS or something will suit you just fine. Stage-2 power levels aren't NEARLY enough to warrant anything more aggressive than that. It's not a race car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i guess i had to learn a hard way . .

the only reason i used exedy is becouse i bought it for $400

i'm pretty sure ill go with clutchmasters. how is it on baily baisis ?

stop-and-go with exedy is pretty bad. a lot of chutter and on/off feel . i got used to it over time but none of my friend can/want to drive my car :)

First of all thanks for the post. Good to know the Exedy stage 2 is not a good option.

Dont replace the clutch disk, get a Clutchmasters CX300 kit. Thats what I am going with next to replace my exedy stage 2 full face.

I plan for my next clutch to be the CM FX300..based on what I have read the clutch is softer than stock and holds really well. My main concern is longevity tho. Many who have installed the CM 300 have mentioned how flimsy and thin the clutch disk and material looks.

Archived