LegacyGT.com

Offset safe?

Thatguy

Just wondering if 18x8 with a +46 is safe on an 05 Legacy GT and also would it leave me the option to lower in the future without issues?

I found the below but it doesn't say much about lowering. Im in MN so not sure Im going to do it anyways but like to leave the options open.

6.5" (+34mm to +60mm offset, +55) *for 2.5i only

7.0" (+37mm to +57mm offset, +55)

7.5" (+40mm to +54mm offset, +55)

8.0" (+43mm to +51mm offset, +53)

8.5" (+45mm to +48mm offset, +45) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

9.0" (+43mm to +45mm offset, +43) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

9.5" (+38mm to +40mm offset, +38) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

I have 18x8 +45 and a 1ish inch drop and had minor rubbing issues on the driver's side. The tire width has a lot to do with it as well. I'm on 225 width tires that run wide.

You should be fine, but don't be surprised if you do have to roll the fenders.

It's cool; I'm with the band

But his question is about lowering the car with those same offsets. The sticky only covers stock height. Changing the ride height will change whether or not certain offsets work. Lower offsets won't work with lowered cars.

I have a 45 offset on an 8" wide wheel and had to roll my rear fenders because its lowered an inch or so.

There's a lot of discussion in that sticky about suspension impacts between COs and struts/springs, dropped rides versus width/offset, camber F/R, etc., rubbing versus rolling/pulling, etc., not just the width/offset
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just wondering if 18x8 with a +46 is safe on an 05 Legacy GT and also would it leave me the option to lower in the future without issues?

I found the below but it doesn't say much about lowering. Im in MN so not sure Im going to do it anyways but like to leave the options open.

6.5" (+34mm to +60mm offset, +55) *for 2.5i only

7.0" (+37mm to +57mm offset, +55)

7.5" (+40mm to +54mm offset, +55)

8.0" (+43mm to +51mm offset, +53)

8.5" (+45mm to +48mm offset, +45) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

9.0" (+43mm to +45mm offset, +43) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

9.5" (+38mm to +40mm offset, +38) *will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255

I run 18x8 +46 and a wide 225/40x18 and I'm lowered about 1.25" all around. Do run 1.0F and 1.5-1.75R negative camber, and have yet to rub. That said, when I run stock wheels with 215/45 Dunlop Winter Sports with those same camber settings, I do get rub on the suspension side on sharp uphill turns at speed.

There's a lot of discussion in that sticky about suspension impacts between COs and struts/springs, dropped rides versus width/offset, camber F/R, etc., rubbing versus rolling/pulling, etc., not just the width/offset

Gotcha. I was just reading xenonk's information portion of the thread and haven't read into the ensuing discussion about other aspects of the suspension geometry.

Mostly the wear/tear comes on the wheel bearings when you push a 7" wheel further out than +55 - +53 as you're now distributing more pressure on the outside of the wheel bearings instead of the along the whole bearing set.

Mine has 110K on the original bearings and I've run stock +55 7" and +46 8", which balances the load much better across the whole bearing face.

9mm/2 = 4.5mm which is less than the 1/2" gained (inner and outer) from the wheel. IOW, 9mm spread across 8" moves the inner and outer wheel rim negligibly relative to the stock +55

That actaully all helps a ton. And that makies a lot of sense Having tyou really only gain on the outside as you keep the 1/2 inch on the inside of the rim. Making the what would seem like a more drastic move of force a more normal move.

Thanks every given this and that chances of lowering due to snow. It looks like Ill be getting some 18x8 +46.

Archived