LegacyGT.com

Stupid Newbie needs help with definitions, and general int/exh questions...

toomanytoyz

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry to ask what I assume has been asked a thousand times before, but I've searched for 3 days now and can't find the info I am looking for. I read all the stickies and I am still a bit confused.

1. Is there some website or thread here that gives component views for the exhaust pieces? I'm a bit confused on the uppipe and downpipe terminology. Is the uppipe just the first section of pipe where the first cat is? The downpipe the next one? I don't think so, because I thought the downpipe connected directly to the back of the turbo? That's what I know a DP to be, anyways. If that's the case, where is the UP? I'm sorry for the newb question, but I'm just trying to get my terminology straight. And I haven't picked the car up yet, so I haven't been able to crawl around under it. It may be more self-explainitory if I could actually put my hands on it, but unfortunately, that option is unavailable to me at this moment. ;)

2. I've also spent some of the past 3 days watching videos to see if I can find what kind of exhaust I want to get. I want to keep the low, bassy subaru "thrump thrump thrump" sound, and want no high pitched sound or raspiness when the revs get up there. The only vids I saw that had that kind of sound were of a GReddy cat back, but it was poor quality, so I don't know how accurate it is. All I know is I've heard some scoobies drive by that sounded like absolute sex, but more that sound like complete a$$, all raspy and high pitched. Can someone point me in the right direction? I also don't want giant tips, but most exhausts seem to have big singles. I would like maybe dual 2" tips on each side... Like the JDM STi exhaust. I was even thinking of having my local shop just build me a DP-back that has 3" pipe to the Y with a resonator in it and then 2.5" after the Y with magnaflows and dual resonated tips. Does that even have a remote shot at getting me the sound I am looking for?

3. Do I understand correctly that once you mod the turbo-back at all, you do the 2.2k resistor mod and that frees up the factory EGT location to add either an EGT gauge or wide band o2?

4. How many cats do these cars have? Two, right? One in the UP and one in the DP? Is the rear o2 an issue if you run catless or with just one high flow cat?

5. I've been told by a couple of friends that the stock STi stuff all just bolts up. Is that the case? If it is, would I see any benefit from sourcing a used STi intercooler, UP, and DP?

6. Is there a "Free" or "homemade" CAI that you guys normall make? I have made a few PVC intakes in my day, and have worked fine for me, and is common practice with the cars I'm used to. But I haven't come across anything like that for these cars. Too much heat because of the Turbo? I even saw that Cobb says NOT TO use one with their Stage mods in the "required mods" for their AP. Yet, they SELL ONE! *shrug?*

And yes, I do in fact plan on running a Cobb AP first, before the exhaust mods. I at least learned that much from my reading... I just have a nasty exhaust leak at the UP(?) to DP(?) flange. Meaning the first joint in the factory system, closest to the turbo where the pipe goes 90* from vertical to horizontal, if that makes any sense... ;) But I figure why fix stock stuff when I can upgrade? :p

I intend for this car to just end up as a pretty solid Stage 2 and think I'll be very happy with that as a daily...

Thanks for the help and putting up with the stupid newb. :)

• Mega Users

Go to google, type in anything you want and either put legacygt.com in the search bar or site:legacygt.com.

To clarify a few things because I'm not going to read this whole thing:

Exhaust system: Exhaust manifold to uppipe to turbo to downpipe to catback.

05 Legacy's have 3 catalytic converters. One in the uppipe, 1 in the downpipe, and 1 in the midpipe (between the downpipe and the catback)

Don't get a CAI unless you do a lot more reading and learning.

An STi swap consists of an STi turbo, STi intake manifold, and an STi TMIC. You can skip the intake manifold and TMIC if you go FMIC, then you can get a CAI

Ok, I thought that was a possibilty for the uppipe, but thought there would maybe be two if that was the case. So it must go from the manifolds to a Y to the uppipe the then turbo? Got it. Thanks for the clarification. :)

1) Picture attached.

2) Don't rely on videos as most of the time the exhaust will sound different in person. You're custom idea is a good one. Too bad you missed out on the Strömung group buy that ended not too long ago. Keep an eye on the classifieds though and maybe you'll find a wagon version come up in the future. I'm hoping I like mine enough to keep it. :D;)

3) Nope. The 2.2k resistor mod is for the EGT sensor in the UP. Also, your AP will be able to clear any codes that come up with the removal of the UP EGT sensor.

4) LD answered this. I'll add that many after market DP's replace both sections of the DP he's referring to that have cats. The mid pipe is also what we refer to as the first section (the long straight part) of any aftermarket "cat back" exhaust. The other parts are a "Y" pipe and the "cans" or mufflers.

5) The only bolt on STi parts are the UP and '08+ DP's. If you want to use the STi intercooler you'll have to swap out a lot more starting with the manifold. The reason many folks originally did an "STi swap" was because it allowed them many more upgraded turbo choices. The fact that the '08+ WRX uses the same intercooler/manifold setup that we have has pretty much eliminated the "STi swap". That and the fact that you can run a front mount intercooler (FMIC) and our manifold with those turbos now if you really want one and are going for big power.

6) The only reason you NEED to get a CAI setup is if you're shooting for BIG power, like 350whp+. The stock intake has be found to be sufficient up to 300whp+. Yes, I know there's a gap between 300 and 350 as that's a bit of a gray area. With your goals of solid stage 2 all you get with a CAI is underhood bling.

Keep reading, believe it or not all your answers can be found here on this site.

1208697424_LGTintakeandexhaustmap.jpg.177cd2d7c8cc374f1b4e1a25e2345b1a.jpg

And if I only wanted to keep one cat, where is the best place to delete it? Would I want to run a catted UP or catted DP?

TIA!

EDIT: Nevermind! You answered my questions as I was typing, goneskiian. :) So I changed it to another one. ;) Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

And I have learned quite a bit already from this place, in just a few days! And I am keeping a hawkeye on the classifieds, too. ;)

A lot of what you asked has been answered.

1: Up-pipe is the pipe from headers up to turbo.

Downpipe is connects to the turbo and connects to the CBE.

2: There is a full thread of all the youtube vidoes of exhaust on our car. Based on what you said, check out the the exhaust mspank is setting up, it might be sold out but if not it sound like what you want. Check the group buy section. Sound clips -http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-audio-video-clip-compilation-thread-102170.html

3: Not sure what your asking. Most DP's come with a location for a wideband.

4: 05 has an up-pipe cat(really really bad, remove when you get a chance). There are 2 cats post turbo in the down pipe. 05 has a total of 3, other years have 2.

5: No, The up-pipe can be swapped, but the rest no, its not just an easy swap and needs other changes.

6: Search, the factory air box is good unless you are doing turbo swap. If you want the sound, remove the res off the air box.

All this has been posted over and over. If you need more details search a little deeper.

Also Its headers/manifold to up, a 'Y' pipe is something completely different. Its the part after the mid pipe that connects to the cans. So Headers/manifold to up-pipe to turbo to downpipe to mid-pipe to y pipe to mufflers.

Definitely get a catless UP. Some folks have had the cat in the UP break up and chew up their turbo (probably why newer LGT's don't have UP cats). This is a great place to use the STi part as you can usually find them for less than $100 shipped for a used one in the classifieds here or at http://www.nasioc.com.

You can get after market DP's either catted (with a high flow cat) or catLESS. You'll usually get some exhaust fumes if you go catless and IMHO only folks looking for huge power or making a race car should bother with catless. That's just my opinion though as I do feel some guilt with the pollution I'm spewing with the cats I've already removed. Then again, there has been evidence that a proper tuned (read the tuning forums) car can be pretty clean. At least that's what I tell myself to sleep at night.

Another option for stage 2 that is sometimes referred to as "ghetto" is simply removing the cats from your UP and the first one from your DP. The UP one is quite a bit harder to remove but can be done with patience and care. With the price of a CNT Racing catted DP at just over $300 though it might be more worth it to go that route.

Cheers!

Oh, and THANK YOU for using proper grammar and sentence structure. Probably the reason the flame throwers didn't come out. I know it made it A LOT easier for me to read and want to respond in a civilized manner.

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm reading a lot of m sprank's posts lately, it seems. :) I think I will do the eBay UP and the ERZ Catted Dp, unless there is a better one available now for similar money or it's no longer available...

And I read about hogging out the stock cats, but I'd hate to accidentally drill a hole in one of the pipes. I'd be ridiculed for years! ;)

And thanks on noticing the grammar. Ticks me off when I can't read and understand the text-speak. ;) I know it gets most ignored or flamed on the other forums I'm on (where I'm a pretty big deal - lol) and didn't want to cause that here. ;)

Thanks again guys. I'm going to keep on searching and reading. I learned a LOT just today! :D

I think I will do the eBay UP and the ERZ Catted Dp

Just a warning: You get what you pay for.

Installing a poorly fitting UP is NOT something you want to do. What happens when it doesn't come with the studs? Do you know how difficult (read: impossible) it is to take the ones out of the stock UP?

Well, what I had read on it is that it seemed pretty decent. I wouldn't buy without more research though. :)

Besides, I think I was only up to 2009 in the archives! ;)

I will keep looking for proven setups before I pull any triggers. :)

I have not seen the M2 uppipes for a bit. but admit, i am not searcing ebay very often.

I have a Megan (I think) used for sale.

Otherwise its gutted OEM and new.

You do get what you pay for. But if those M2 uppipes fit fine and cost dirt. Kind of big pipe diameter, but they have no cat. They are not may favorite, but for some they work.

Archived