LegacyGT.com

Used Cobb DP or New CNT

KBear73

Found a used Cobb DP with the Cobb heat shield for slightly cheaper than a new catted CNT DP. I know that the Cobb is a 2.5 inch flange, the CBE I am getting will be 3 inch. Is this enough of a reason to grab the CNT or should I not pass up a chance to buy a Cobb with 20,xxx miles and from a salt free California car?? Any input is welcome. Thanks. BTW the price is delivered on both.

NON catted CNT would be cheaper than the catted one u were previously considering. not to mention CNT dowpipes are legit, the welds are solid and the piping is good materials. Mine has gone on with no issues (knock on wood) for about 6k miles

I have the cobb and it's a quality and time-tested piece. I also like the placement of the cat on the cobb unit over the CNT.

Cobb's DP has the cat mounted farther away from the bellmouth, instead of right after it like on the CNT. I'm no expert on turbocharging or thermodynamics, but I'd think having the cat mounted farther would offer better performance than having the only restriction right next to the most turbulent area where the turbine and WG gasses are mixing up.

The CNT unit would definately be better for cold start emissions, though, as the converter would heat up faster to do it's job.

Use a WBR Performance adapter to mate a 2.5" Donut flange to a 3" Flat flange. Works perfectly and is a quality T304 SS piece.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've had the COBB catted DP with zero fitment or leak issues. Went to catless Invidia at unexperienced Tuner's advice (had leak issues even with flange adapters), hated the noise and went to CNT Catted. I have no leak issues mated to a 3" CBE and noise is much better over catless in my wagon.

I have no reservations recommending the CNT DP's. Mine has held up to the winter conditions just as good as the COBB did and much better than my cheap XO2 exhaust.

And, I hate the cheap COBB DP heatshield. Cracks at one mounting point after a while. The Grimmspeed shield is much more solid.

^ I'm interested in your experience with the invidia and and CNT. I am going catless on my wagon and have been looking at the invidia. Im running the perrin mid. What were you bolting up too? I currently have the COBB catted DP that i'm trying to sell for a catless.

Run a Cobb HFC DP, no fitment issues whatsoever. But I mate it to the Perrin Mid/Y with a WBR donut to 3" flat adapter. CBE is for sale, see link below for pictures of the setup and a couple of sound clips.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived