LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy Exhaust interchangability

sleeper2001

I have a 2001 Legacy wagon with a rusted out exhaust. I just purchased this vehicle from someone returning from the east coast where it saw a lot of salt on the roads. I am trying to save some money on replacing the exhaust and am investigating used exhausts. Will the exhaust off of a 2005 Legacy GT work on my wagon....what mods will I have to do? It is too sweet a deal if it will work. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is a link to the exhaust.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2228055272.html

First of all, no an exhaust off of a 2005 Legacy GT will not work on your car without significant modification.

Second, that craigslist add is NOT for a 2005 Legacy GT wagon exhaust.

The exhaust in that add might very well fit your wagon. Can you get under you car to look more closely? I'm not an expert on the earlier generation of Legacy wagons so I can't tell you definitively.

Cheers!

Yes, I'm positive. The '05 GT wagon has dual mufflers. How do I know? I own one.

They are either really misinformed or lying. EVERY 2005 Subaru Legacy (sedan, wagon and outbacks) has dual mufflers.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding pictures of a stock exhaust but if you look at an aftermarket one you'll see the differences...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2912724&postcount=45

Yes, this is for a sedan.

Here's a whole thread about the wagon exhaust options...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagon-cbe-options-137295.html

Cheers!

Second, that craigslist add is NOT for a 2005 Legacy GT wagon exhaust.

The exhaust in that add might very well fit your wagon. Can you get under you car to look more closely? I'm not an expert on the earlier generation of Legacy wagons so I can't tell you definitively.

+1, looks like an 02-04 WRX exhaust.

Not sure how different it is for legacys, but I know on forester and imprezas, all that was needed to fit a WRX or STI catback was to lengthen the mid pipe a couple inches and rotate a flange. Can't imagine it would be much (if any) different to get that exhaust to fit on your car.

+1, looks like an 02-04 WRX exhaust.

Not sure how different it is for legacys, but I know on forester and imprezas, all that was needed to fit a WRX or STI catback was to lengthen the mid pipe a couple inches and rotate a flange. Can't imagine it would be much (if any) different to get that exhaust to fit on your car.

The add does sound like it's a wife or girlfriend that's posted it. I bet she's confused and it's actually off of an '05 WRX wagon.

I just sent them an email asking them to correct the add.

Oh right. Back to the '02 - '04 WRX wagon hypothesis.

I got an email back from her:

"Hi,

My husband has a 2005 legacy gt wagon. It is not a wrx wagon. I am

not sure what's going on, but thanks and I will ask him about it."

I think we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

sleeper2001 - Sorry for the thread jack. Back to the topic at hand. If this is from a WRX, which is looking more and more likely, it will be too short for your Legacy wagon.

Cheers!

• 4 years later...

Archived