LegacyGT.com

Auto. Trans and Cooling issues?

I have been driving my wife's 95 Lsi wagon the few days and have some concerns...

1st the transmission.

- Note* the engine wasn't quite up to normal operating temp

- enter freeway, while getting up to speed I noticed the engine reving pretty high. My tach said about 4k or a bit higher. Didn't want to shift into top gear. I backed off.

-Finally it changed into high gear.

-70 mph, I was getting about 3250 rpm, about 10 minutes later, The tach showed just under 3k (same speed, 70mph)

2nd issue.

-With the engine fairly cold, heading down the street, I hear a water gurgling / trickling sound from behind the dash. ( heater core area).

-Maybe I just need to bleed the air out of the system???

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Cant answer the transmission questions unless you acidently had the shifter in 3rd, but as far as the water noise in the dash, I have heard that for the last 200,000 miles with my legacy. I am certain it is just the water going through the heater core.

the trans will not shift into 4th gear until it reaches normal operating temp. so if it is cold you only have 3 forward gears. if it continues after the engine and radiator reach normal temps then you might have a trans problem.

the difference in the rpms at 72 mph is the torque converter lock up. it usually happens pretty quickly after it shifts into any gear, but maybe not all the time. in my ford f350 pick up hauling my 8000 lb. trailer. i can actually keep the trans in 4 and ''not locked'' if i drive it just right. it makes it look like it has a 5 speed trans if you watch the tach as it upshifts.

it could be ''air'' in the cooling system moving through the heater core. chack the level and search and read up on ''burping''.

it could also be water in the bottom of the door or the rocker panel running back and forth as you accelerate and brake.

My 2.5GT does the same things. On colder than 30 degree mornings, my car will not shift into 4th for at least a mile if i don't let it warm up before leaving the drive way, unless I back off the throttle.

And the water swishing noise in my car is definitely coming from behind the dash. It happens on cold mornings for a minute or two after I start the car. it is more noticeable the colder it is outside and when I rev the engine a bit. And this is while the car is not moving at all.

Archived