LegacyGT.com

Burning oil from...?

I just replaced my wheel bearing, and after having it sit for two days it has now developed an oil leak. I can both see and smell smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine, it looks like it is being burned on the up-pipe near the front O2 sensor.

Other relevant facts:

Just replaced turbo - I got under the car and it doesn't seem to be coming from the oil return or feed lines

Changed oil - Penzoil platinum w/filter, isn't leaking from the filter of drain plug

It didn't smoke right after replacing the turbo, probably 2 weeks worth of driving

Checked oil level, its right at F

Are there any common leaks from that area? Could it be coming from the valve cover? I can see some fresh oil in the area but not the source, its a little cramped in that area. Basically I am looking for more possible sources, I am relatively unfamiliar with this engine.

Could it be coming from the valve cover?

could be -- if it is, it could be dripping down the uppipe, check the VC at the rear (that's where mine currently has sprung a small leak, for exactly the same symptoms as yours). you could also have damaged the half-moon rear cam seal removing/replacing the uppipe; that's a bit harder to get a visual on.

good luck.

Archived