LegacyGT.com

weird clicking. timing off?

I JUST finished putting all of my engine components back on and I just started my 94 legacy for the first time in months. I had the right head rebuilt slightly and a new gasket put on. Engine is now running smooth for the most part but there is an unnerving clicking sound. got a new timing belt with 3 white marks on it. we lined up two of the marks with the tdc marks on both of the cam sprockets and the middle mark with one that was right over the engine sprocket. now there was an arrow on the engine sprocket that didnt line up with the belt mark but the engine had never turned after we took the old belt off so i thought it best to not turn the engine to meet the mark on the belt.

also, we were never quite sure of the torque specs on the cam shaft retainer things.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2882204/Pictures/subaru%20pics%20035.jpg

this is not my photo but its the bolts that are boxed in red. we torqued those down to 70 to 90 in-lbs as stated by the book for the 2.5 engine. it didnt say anything about the 2.2 so we went this those specs. could this be a problem? maybe causing the clicking sound? or is it bad timing? the engine runs fairly smooth and all cylinders are firing.

well i just heard from someone that the clicking could be coming from the lifters because some component needs to be filled with hydrolic fluid but its not harmful. now i dont think that the guy who cleaned and rebuilt the head did that but he also didnt say that i had to. it still clicks persistently but runs fine for the most part. a bit sputtery at a take off from a stop light. im gonna at some fuel injector to my next tank of gas. thanks for the responses guys.

your car has HLAs, hydraulic lash adjusters, they need to pump up before they get quiet. this is pretty common when swapping in 95 - 96 ej22 into outbacks or GTs especially if the engine has been sitting for a while. the 90 - 94 ej22s have them too. it is a great adjuster since it never needs adjusting.

let the car idle in the drive way for an hour a day until it gets quiet. it may take several days.

if they don't quiet down after a few days you may have to pull them out and bleed them and or replace them. they can get clogged up and dirty or leak which will make them noisy.

they run $25 each at the dealer or $19 online. i have some if you need them.

you can drive it but idling is less stressful and by letting it idle in addition to driving it it should clear up sooner.

the ATF will help ''clean'' the engine a bit. but i wouldn't leave it in for 3k miles. change it at 1000 miles or so. you can always do it again if you want.

ok thanks everyone. i think it MIGHT be getting quiter or maybe im just getting used to it.

on an unrelated note: a while back a rubber hose on my heater core burst and i have since replaced it but just as i was driving it today i heard it hissing and water got all over the floor. *facepalm* ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING WITH MY CAR. oh well guess im gonna tear apart the dash again. :mad:

• 1 month later...

Archived