LegacyGT.com

Oil leak

I noticed my 05 LGT is leaking oil. Oil filter is dripping oil from the bottom of it and also where timing belt cover is, seems like its leaking from there and it's dripping on hot exhaust and burning off. Do I have to take off timing cover and look at oil pump, are they prone to leaks on this car?

Mine is doing the same. I just got the car and they were supposed to have changed a cam seal. I dont see evidance that the entire timing cover was removed. The cover on the drivers side is all cleaned up. I dont see how they could do a cam seal without removing the entire coved and pulling the pully. Mine seems to be leaki ng the same as yours. Sorry I cant be more help, but I am interested in the fix.

The solution to the problem is to replace the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals.

Timing belts on Subarus shouldn't be much more than 5 hours at a maximum, and that should include installing idlers, water pump, all seals, etc.

Dealer timing belt service may be more like 2.3 hours but keep in mind that most dealers will only replace the belt itself and sometimes idlers. They don't necessarily replace the tensioner without the customer specifically requesting it. Go figure.

Archived