LegacyGT.com

Legacy choice. Can't decide between power or efficiency.

Caleo

The performance difference (on paper) I noticed in the 3.6R was that the AWD has a 60:40 rear wheel bias which apparently gives it a sportier feel.

As for insurance, I just did a quick estimate check and the difference wasn't that large. I can't find that same website (I think it was allstate) so I'd rather not put in a bunch of personal information just to find a new quote, sorry :p

I plan on picking up possibly a 3.0R or GT when I finally move and get the job I'm hoping for (which would come with a company car, Legacy 2.5i :)).

Remember, it's 3.6R for the 2011, not the old 3.0R of the Legacy line. :)

If you want a manual, get the GT. Hands-down it's more responsive than the 3.6R. The drawback on the GT is not only the price, but the 92/premium fuel requirement. The Gt is $6.5k more than the base model 3.6R and $3k over the top 3.6R model. I got my 2.5i Premium for close to the base model price since my uncle works for a local Subaru dealership (about $200 over dealer cost, which is thousands under sticker).

I still can't get into the re-design, so I'd pick up an 08-09 Legacy.

Yeah, it's not everyone's cup-of-tea. I like the design, but I don't like the stock wheels. I love the front of it, but I still like the side and rear looks of the older models a little better.

Since I like speed and handling (and have a weekend car for that), I had the same dilemma several years ago when I was choosing a daily driver and wanted some economy and AWD as gas prices were inching up toward $4 a gallon. I've found the 2.5 to be just fine in both of our '08s. Yesterday, I took my Legacy on a 300-mile+ drive and it did great on the highway, with plenty of power and 30 mpg-plus. There are only three things you can't do without seeing some effect from the limited power: 1) load up the car with three other people and luggage, 2) expect to hit the gas and squirt between cars when traffic opens up, and 3) win stoplight drag races. Otherwise, the car does just fine. Plus, with what's going on in the Arab world, who knows what will happen to gas prices in the near future?

If you must have more power and can sacrifice AWD, then take a look at the Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, which seems to have around the same gas mileage as the Legacy, not to mention 274hp. I've driven the regular Hyundai several times and they are mighty fine cars for the money. I've also read very good things about the Sonata hybrid with its 206hp.

I had a 05 2.5i with about 64k miles on it and I planned to keep it at least for another 2-3 years since I only drive about 8K a year... but, unfortunately, my car was rear ended about a month ago by a girl that was texting while driving and plowed into my car at 40mph, no brakes or anything...

But I was dead set on a Legacy as a replacement, except for a brief few minutes that I was considering an 2009 A4 until I saw the prices and just couldn't justify it...

It was a real hard decision between the 2.5i and the 3.6R but at the end of the day I went with a 2010 2.5i with 8400 miles on it, the insurance difference was only about an extra $8 a month but the deciding factor was that I just didn't need the extra power; would have been nice but just not something that was needed... especially when this wasn't really planned for and just came out of nowhere...

I had a 05 2.5i with about 64k miles on it and I planned to keep it at least for another 2-3 years since I only drive about 8K a year... but, unfortunately, my car was rear ended about a month ago by a girl that was texting while driving and plowed into my car at 40mph, no brakes or anything...

But I was dead set on a Legacy as a replacement, except for a brief few minutes that I was considering an 2009 A4 until I saw the prices and just couldn't justify it...

It was a real hard decision between the 2.5i and the 3.6R but at the end of the day I went with a 2010 2.5i with 8400 miles on it, the insurance difference was only about an extra $8 a month but the deciding factor was that I just didn't need the extra power; would have been nice but just not something that was needed... especially when this wasn't really planned for and just came out of nowhere...

Did you get the 2.5i manual or the 2.5i CVT?

CVT...

Honestly, at first, I was incredibly reluctant to get the CVT mainly for performance reasons, which was one of the other reasons I was considering the 3.6R... I didn't have any concerns as far as reliability/longevity because CVT has actually been used from the mid-80s (I think the first manufacturer was Nissan and because I got a 7yr / 70,000 refundable extended warranty) but when I test drove it the first time, it just didn't feel right to me, probably because that was a rushed test drive that only lasted about 5 minutes... but when I went to buy the car, I took a test drive that lasted about 20-25 minutes and I really got the feel for the CVT and it, surprisingly, is still pretty performance oriented...

I love the paddle shifters but wish they had made "Shift Up / Shift Down" shifters on the left and right side, kinda like 'rocker' paddle shifters, rather than "Shift Up" on the right side and "Shift Down" on the left side... and I also really wish they had kept the gate shifter and still let you to shift from the gear shifter like in the 05-09's...

But overall, very very satisfied... :)

CVT...

Honestly, at first, I was incredibly reluctant to get the CVT mainly for performance reasons, which was one of the other reasons I was considering the 3.6R... I didn't have any concerns as far as reliability/longevity because CVT has actually been used from the mid-80s (I think the first manufacturer was Nissan and because I got a 7yr / 70,000 refundable extended warranty) but when I test drove it the first time, it just didn't feel right to me, probably because that was a rushed test drive that only lasted about 5 minutes... but when I went to buy the car, I took a test drive that lasted about 20-25 minutes and I really got the feel for the CVT and it, surprisingly, is still pretty performance oriented...

I love the paddle shifters but wish they had made "Shift Up / Shift Down" shifters on the left and right side, kinda like 'rocker' paddle shifters, rather than "Shift Up" on the right side and "Shift Down" on the left side... and I also really wish they had kept the gate shifter and still let you to shift from the gear shifter like in the 05-09's...

But overall, very very satisfied... :)

Good to hear, thanks! Did you know that you can shift down while in automatic in anticipation for a pass (instead of making the car guess what you're about to do when you step on the pedal)?

Ya, I found that out during the second test drive... the salesman at that dealership said that in his 26 years of selling Subarus and people taking test drives, he's only had to really hold on three times and I was one of those three times... LOL

Archived