LegacyGT.com

Main Pulley Question - Do I Need to Tune from OEM?

New to the car tuning world. I can tune a Harley, but that's a bit easier. :)

I am seeking a way to get just a tad bit more "oomph" to from the engine pre-2600 RPM (when the, basically, 170 hp 4 cyl. is powering the car). I do not want to make a ton of noise out the back sporting chrome 3" exhaust tips, nor hear the air intake gurgle and 'pssss' every time I hit the gas or shift. Love the Subaru sound (outside of the car), but I have yet to be in a intake/exhaust-modded boxer that doesn't drone like my neighbor's wife :lol:. I've come across the Silent-Power exhaust line, listened to it and liked it on YouTube, but it's too expensive... and chrome. (I wish they'd make black mufflers like they do for my bike... that'd be sweet. I don't need chrome pipes under my car... just unnecessary to me... others differ, it's cool.)

Anyway... :spin:

Question is, can I install a Cobb/Perrin/Works crank pulley without tuning the engine or will I need to go in and have the computer fudged with? I'd like to avoid that as (1) it's too expensive for the COBB unit and pro-tune and (2) most certainly voids my ext. warranty which has been good to me so far and I'd like to keep it that way. The crank pulley I can remove (and install the old one) if I ever need to go to the shop for something serious (i.e., when/if my throw out bearing dies). Thanks for the help! :cool:

The pulley doesn't change air flow or fueling. It lightens the rotational mass, allowing quicker revs. So no, it doesn't need a tune.

Pulley was the 1st thing I did, didn't tune for it either.

I think the improvement is more noticed on the 5 speed manuals too.

Thanks! I was hoping so. I understand it free's up the revs a bit, and that's I think what I'm looking for. For $135 bucks (or a great deal if COBB, Perrin, or Worx wants to give me one), I think it's a good modification. I just wish they didn't come in funny colors.

Eventually, when ever I can trick myself into justifying it, I'll get the Kartboy one.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Because it's a totally unnecessary mod.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd stay away from Worx Tuning, if they're even still around. They seemed to make some nice products, my friend has their springs and pulley on his STi, but when you pay and they don't send you anything and then they disappear, it's not that good.

Archived