LegacyGT.com

Is my turbo about to die?

I am wondering if you guys can help with something...

Today I noticed a funny noise and I will try my best to explain what I'm hearing...

This noise happens in gear/out of gear and movinghttp://script.clickbubbles.net/res/img/icons/underlined.png?1/not moving...so that narrows it down to engine areahttp://script.clickbubbles.net/res/img/icons/underlined.png?1....

At idle....800ish RPM...nothing....

When engine speed hits 2400-2500 there is a low humming/growling/ noise...in any gear, including neutral at a stop.

I had my wife do the throttle while I listened with the hood open....the noise sounds like its coming from the intercooler area.

The noise is loud enough that I started to notice the annoyance today so it is recent. Performance seems fine.....

It sounds almost like a bearing of some sort that is howling....

Again, in gear out of gear, moving or at a stop......doesn't matter, noise is the same.

Is my turbo starving for oil and about to die?

Thanks in advance.

Engine load won't be high enough in neutral to get the turbo to spin very fast (by turbo standards).

I'd say it is more likely to be trans/clutch related. The clutch sits directly below the intercooler. Does the sound change with the clutch in/out?

Mine is weird......it literally quits completely when it slows down after revving to 2k in rpm.....weird.

I haven't taken the engine cover off yet, will do so in a bit. It sounds like a monk saying OOOOHHHHHHMMMMM..only a tiny bit higher pitched.

I will try to record it when I take the cover off.

• 1 month later...

Had an oil change due today and since last oil change was when this sorta started...i asked them to look at it.

As it turns out, the AC belt wasn't on properly which they had taken off when they replaced the serpentine belt last visit.

All is now well....just in case someone else has this problem i thought I would post what happened.

Archived