LegacyGT.com

Our AWD system

Since I read the thread I'm going to chime in! I'd have to say that tires are everything. My 05 LGT with auto tranny has been average at best this winter. I've had many different AWD cars and 4WD SUV's/Trucks over the years and the tires have always made the difference. I can honestly say that I haven't felt that comfortable in the snow with my subaru this winter. While I haven't gotten stuck, my braking and turning has been scary. It really sucks to turn the wheel on your car and keep going straight! It also sucks to hit the brakes and slide with the antilock kicking on.

Since I read the thread I'm going to chime in! I'd have to say that tires are everything. My 05 LGT with auto tranny has been average at best this winter. I've had many different AWD cars and 4WD SUV's/Trucks over the years and the tires have always made the difference. I can honestly say that I haven't felt that comfortable in the snow with my subaru this winter. While I haven't gotten stuck, my braking and turning has been scary. It really sucks to turn the wheel on your car and keep going straight! It also sucks to hit the brakes and slide with the antilock kicking on.

It's true! I drove a friend's vehicle with all season tires in the snow the other week and it was pretty awful. I've forgotten how spoiled I have become with snow tires.

Ha want to be impressed??

Find a very steep hill covered in snow and try to go down and stop!!! I'll take stopping over not getting stuck any day.

funny thing happens when you can stop and turn when you want to..... you wont get stuck anywhere

winter tires FTW I mean it is winter right? troll through the accident thread and find out how many at fault accidents could have been avoided with a few hundred bucks in tires.

I paid $600 for my Hankook i-Pikes brand new. Whats your deductable?? mines $500 pretty damn close to a set of tires, plus i wont have to drive an Echo while they fix my car(which would be worth less too)

the funny thing is -----> someones going to argue whith my statement:spin:

This sir, is the best argument ever for people getting 2 full wheelsets w/ seasonal tires and MAKING SURE YOU SWAP THE WHEELS BEFORE IT SNOWS!!!

It's true! I drove a friend's vehicle with all season tires in the snow the other week and it was pretty awful. I've forgotten how spoiled I have become with snow tires.

Its really amazing how much better a my cars do in the snow with snow tires. I'm running the nice and cheap General Altimax Arctics both on my '95.5 Audi S6 avant and on the GT wagon. They both do very nicely but ultimately, I think the S6 is better in the white stuff but this is personal preference. I find the snow tires kinda take some of the fun out of snow driving though since you can get the car out of shape but it comes back real quick. I'm not convinced that either climbs my driveway better thn the other in the snow we get. My real preference is the old Audis I had with locking center and rear diffs. The beauty is that there is no slippage to react to.....any reaction to slip is still slip that looses momentum. My old '95 S6 had a center torsen and rear locker and would whup up on either my '95.5 S6 and the LGT. I loved to look on my neighbor's faces when neither their Pathfinder 4x4 nor the F150 4x4 could make it up our drive and the S6 did it w/o drama with the rear diff locked. My old 4000 quattro and 5000 turbo quattros were absolutely unstoppable in the snow (the ur quattro doesn't leave the garage in the stuff)...lock the center and go and I'm very sure they'd best any of the S6s or the LGT. The other bonus to the locking diffs is that when you brake, there's no slipping with the ABS (since it was either off or non existant) and at least 3 of the wheels were locked to the same rate. I had a bad driveway in my old rental and I found locking the center diff repelling the driveway gave me infinitely better control.

All in all, I think both the Subaru awd and Audi quattro are great systems and wouldn't worry in the slightest taking either one out in some serious slippery conditions. I'm also completely convinced that if you drive in the snow/ice with any regularity, you're foolish not to get dedicated snows.....they are THAT much better.

Just my $.02.

This sir, is the best argument ever for people getting 2 full wheelsets w/ seasonal tires and MAKING SURE YOU SWAP THE WHEELS BEFORE IT SNOWS!!!

Thanks !!! Its nice to be validated once in a while, course my car is not all cracked up from sliding into things either. Thats validating as well:lol:

Archived