LegacyGT.com

Rough idle, CEL system lean, misfire; LOOK HERE

Seems like there's more and more threads related to this issue...

Rough idle in cold weather during a cold start but subside once engine is fully warmed? Do you have an LGT 07-09?

Check engine light/cruise flashing/traction light on-

codes: system too lean, misfire cyl 1,2,3,4 or a combination of them..?

Look here:

DIY walkthrough that I have created...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-rough-idle-cold-start-cold-temps-lgt-07-09-155325.html

Wasn't sure if I should tack this onto the end of bmx's walkthrough thread (or any of the other threads on this topic), but I am just back from the dealer, who covered this for me under warranty. Since some other things were 'fixed' related to this issue, thought I'd post the details here in case it's of any use to others.

Found upper manifold gaskets have excessive oil saturation around o-rings sealing surface. Replaced gaskets also found all fuel lines were slightly loose. Tightened all clamps related to fuel lines to prevent gas leak at cold weather temperatures.

Replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and repositioned intercooler to throttle body duct hose - found loose on side of throttle body assembly. Engine vacuum now at 20 in/hg - within normal parameters.

Wasn't sure if I should tack this onto the end of bmx's walkthrough thread (or any of the other threads on this topic), but I am just back from the dealer, who covered this for me under warranty. Since some other things were 'fixed' related to this issue, thought I'd post the details here in case it's of any use to others.

Was this covered by your 6y/60k powertrain warranty or new vehicle 3y/36k warranty?

Yep, covered under powertrain. Walser Subaru in Burnsville, MN.

This is the second winter I've had the issue, the first year they couldn't find anything (don't know how hard they really tried,) and just said make sure I always use premium fuel, and maybe I had some bad fuel causing a misfire. (Have used premium in every tank of every car I've owned since 1999, so that wasn't it.) This year, when I went in, I think there were many more codes set, and I mentioned having read about the gasket issue on here.

• 4 months later...

A late follow-up:

Talked to the dealer and they told me THEY would have to diagnose the manifold gaskets as the cause before they would consider covering it under warranty. I've been down that road before so I decided to replace the gaskets myself.

Things were going well until the manifold anchor closest to the turbo snapped as I was removing it. The thing was really corroded so my guess is that was the root of the problem. Got the gaskets in but had to take it to my mechanic to pull the busted bolt and replace it.

The good news is this solved my problem. Bad news is that it cost me a couple hundred to have the broken bolt removed and replaced.

Even though I ended up spending a few bucks it was fun to tinker with this and figure it out without having to leave it at the dealer for a week+ and cross my fingers.

Thanks for the help.

Archived