LegacyGT.com

Checking up on the Edmunds.com review of the 2011 Legacy 2.5 GT Lim.

GTNerd

Ok so I'm looking at buying a Subaru, and after driving an Impreza WRX, I discovered that I hit my knee on the steering wheel every time I got into the car. Yes I checked the adjustments. After talking to the salesman for a minute, he brought up the Legacy GT as a possible stand-in. I did some research and the most comprehensive review that I found was an Edmunds.com YouTube review on the 2010 Legacy (which included the GT). Two things that I'm a little "concerned" about: 1) they said that the back end was a little too "lively" for a car this size. For those of you with this car, are they being overly nit-picky or does the car have the same aggressive rear-wheel drive tendencies that other RWD cars have? And 2) they were bashing the 6-speed transmission as being "clunky", "imprecise", and "hard to use at low speeds". Again, are they being overly picky on manual transmissions, or does it drive more like a truck (the transmission)?

I'm really excited about getting a Subaru, but I'm just trying to figure out which one to get. I've yet to go back and drive a Legacy, as I've not had time since I've started to do research on the Legacy. Thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting if/when I buy the car. Thanks in advance for all of your help. :)

1) the rear can be asked to step out far more easily than a FWD car, so, yeah, it is lively for a car that size. The car tends more toward understeer/neutrality than oversteer, however.

2) The shifter isn't a Honda but it isn't a truck transmission. The gate around 3rd is a bit weird, but once you get used to shifting it will be unnoticeable.

1) the rear can be asked to step out far more easily than a FWD car, so, yeah, it is lively for a car that size. The car tends more toward understeer/neutrality than oversteer, however.

Not to hijack the thread but that is under hard driving right, not normal day to day commuting or snow?

I've never driven a 2010 or 11, but have experience with an '05 and other AWD cars.

My experience has been that awd cars are far more likely to understeer than to oversteer. I wouldn't worry about the rear end kicking out; you'll have a hard time doing that. The only time it might be a concern is if you're trying to turn in the snow and give it a lot of gas, then the rear might step out; but good driving sense will tell you not to apply gas in the middle of a turn anyway (brake before turn, turn in with steady gas, apply more gas on exit)

In short, don't worry about a lively rear end.

Thats kinda what I figured about the AWD. My initial thought was that they were over-reacting based on the fact that the majority of the cars that are in competition with the Legacy are FWD, then ya, it'll be more lively. :) Same kinda deal with the tranny.

Awww...but it's so fun to step on the gas in the snow when your going around the corner...

Here's another question, is the rear-end posi-traction, or am I confusing my drive-trains?

I found a '10 LGT (I'm assuming that this means "Legacy GT") at a nearby dealer and I hope to go take a look at it this weekend.

Not to hijack the thread but that is under hard driving right, not normal day to day commuting or snow?

Hard driving, definitely. It's still more understeer, just the rear end gets a little loose. The car still wants to be led around by the nose however.

Here's another question, is the rear-end posi-traction, or am I confusing my drive-trains?

5th gen GTs are open diffs at each axle. While it sucks not having an LSD, the car is supremely traction limited so it isn't a loss at all.

Two things that I'm a little "concerned" about:

1) they said that the back end was a little too "lively" for a car this size. For those of you with this car, are they being overly nit-picky or does the car have the same aggressive rear-wheel drive tendencies that other RWD cars have?

2) they were bashing the 6-speed transmission as being "clunky", "imprecise", and "hard to use at low speeds". Again, are they being overly picky on manual transmissions, or does it drive more like a truck (the transmission)?

:)

1) This statement sounds like inexperience. AWD can be way better than FWD or RWD if driven properly. The rear is not close to RWD and I would noit consider it lively at all. AWD wants to pull thru the turn by maintaing speed or accelerating. If you enter a turn to fast and take foot off gas, not good, the car is prone to understeer due to driver compensation. Don't drive that way! Also, this car is only 48 lbs more than the previous generation so not sure what the size statement refers to.

2) It's not the smoothest shifter but far from a truck. The LGT 6MT uses cable linkage vice rods so there is a little play. As Subarus go, we have had Impreza and previous LGT owners say the shifter is better. A lot of agreement with better shifting with the short shifter option. My experience with "Hard to use at low speeds" is picky. When cold the low gears are stiff. As stated by Sydtron, up shift to third take a little getting used to or you end up in 5th.

Thanks all for your input. I got to drive a Legacy 2.5i Ltd. this weekend and although it wasn't quite the same as a GT, I got what I needed out of the test drive. If everything goes my way, I'll have a 2011 LGT in a couple of weeks. :cool: (the '10 LGT had already been sold by the time I got there :spin:)

Archived