LegacyGT.com

Tips for pulling the 2.2 on a '98 Legacy?

So the motor is shot on the '98 Legacy I just bought. Figured it was when I got it. I've got a replacement being shipped to me but have few questions on pulling it.

I have a sevice manual on PDF. It says to completly remove the exhaust y pipe. Is this nessacary ot can it just be unbolted from the heads and drop down a bit?

Does the AC need to be removed or can the pump just be unbolted and laid out of the way?

Any other tips or must have tools I should know about? I've got a well equiped garage with most tools, air tools and engine hoist.

So the motor is shot on the '98 Legacy I just bought. Figured it was when I got it. I've got a replacement being shipped to me but have few questions on pulling it.

I have a sevice manual on PDF. It says to completly remove the exhaust y pipe. Is this nessacary ot can it just be unbolted from the heads and drop down a bit?

Does the AC need to be removed or can the pump just be unbolted and laid out of the way?

Any other tips or must have tools I should know about? I've got a well equiped garage with most tools, air tools and engine hoist.

I was able to remove the EJ25 engine from my LGT without removing the Y-Pipe. I unbolted the headers only, but you may encounter difficulty if you plan to raise the transmission from below with the Y-Pipe still attached to the exhaust system, as there is very little room to get a jack to do that lifting. I ultimately I used a small bottle jack to get in there and lift the trans.

Do not disconnect the A/C lines. Unbolt and move aside just as you describe.

there are 4 trans bolts, (2 bolts and 2 nuts) plus the starter ( one bolt and one nut, but the bolt is actually one of the trans bolts). the lower tans nuts you get form below. the driver side is tuff, i end up removing the axle but most do not. the starter 2, one from above and one from below, reaching up. passenger side is ok, more room.

remove the radiator and fans, plastic air intake, windshield washer tank, battery,unbolt the AC compressor, but not the AC lines. just flop it out of the way during removal. you can do the same with the power steering lines but you have remove the fluid first or it will leak out all over the place..

you have to jack up the trans, actually you can lift everything with the hoist and then block up the trans. but if you DENT the TRANS OIL PAN you will have trans problems. the is zero clearance in between the pan and the some wiring in side. i hear you can lay a 2x4 across the front of the pan and jack it there, but i have not tried it. the other thing that works great is a trans jack.

use an impact wrench on the exhaust nuts if you have one, plus pb blaster.

since you are discarding the old engine you can strip off or remove any thing that is in your way, especially the TPS on the throttle body. it makes it easier to ge to the torque converter bolts, up top. if you remove the TPS on the engine you are installing, MARK IT IN 2 PLACES so you can reinstall it EXACTLY the way it was.

the best tool for the TC bolts is a swivel socket on and open end wrench. one end is open end and the other is a socket instead of a box. slide tyhe TC back from the engine and try to keep it in the trans.

be sure to replace the oil separator plate on the back of the ''new'' engine, behind the flex plate, unless it is a ''rebuilt'' engine. they leak like a stuck pig and you will regret it if you don't. DO NOT replace the rear main seal unless it is really leaking badly. they do not leak until some one replaces them usually. i have a long post on this, search for it.

and i would do all the front seals and all the timing components, belt, 3 idlers, tensioner, and water pump. you will be good for 60k.

read this about seating the torque converter: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/96-subaru-torq-converter-motor-questions-154736.html

and don't forget the ''dog bone'' up top at the fire wall. it will be really hard to jack up the trans with it in place.

what year are you installing?

where did you buy it?

good luck.

Thanks guys for awesome tips! Good to hear I don't need to drain the AC. I can borrow the equipment to drain it from work but its a pain.

The car is a '98 Legacy 2.2 and the replacment motor is a 2.2 from '98 Legacy so I don't anticipate any problems.

I bought the motor from a wrecker in Northern Alberta for $600 plus $80 for shipping(I'm in Calgary Alberta). Comes with a 90 day warrenty. Has 180,000kms on it and they ran a compression test on it and it was 160 on all 4 cylinders.

Archived