LegacyGT.com

Need a stock downpipe

Shadowstep

Hey guys,

So, I have a Cobb downpipe on my '05 LGT and, for the first year ever, I failed emissions in Northern VA. I passed the OBD testing but when we got to the visual inspection, no dice.

So, what I'm looking for is somebody that has a stock downpipe laying around that I can toss on for an inspection. If you want it back after a few days, I can do that, or if you want to get rid of it and make a few bucks off it, we can work something out.

It would help if you were in the VA, DC, MD area, as I'd rather not have to pay for shipping, but I'm open to all solutions.

Thanks,

George

P.S. - I know this borders on the edge of a BST thread, but I didn't want to post it in the marketplace until I felt out the locals.

Nope. I have the Cobb bellmouth with high-flow cat, but when I got it back in '06, they were putting the O2 sensors right before the back cat, which is apparently the wrong configuration to measure flow by DEQ's standards. So, even if the pipe is putting out above-standard emission levels, it will fail a visual inspection. And VA won't hook it up to a tailpipe measurement system like they do for pre-'96 vehicles without OBD systems, because... well, I don't know why. They just won't.

I think the concern is that you don't have a cat in the stock location, which is illegal. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how clean the exhaust is. Federal law states that you must not move or remove any emission control devices. Technically, it is illegal to put a cat less up pipe from an 07+ car onto your 05.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Right. DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality), however, gets to set their own standards for inspection in VA. It's a really weird situation, considering counties get to set their own standards for review. For example, some counties in southern VA don't require emissions inspections at all.

So, to satisfy The Man, I'm just going to toss a stock pipe on there. I'd rather not have to buy a brand new one, though.

I just got a catted cobb down pipe for my 08 LGT but I havent put it on yet.

Will I have the same issues too? I thought as long as I had a cat on my down pipe, Id pass.

I'll have a stock down pipe for auto transmission for sale in 2 weeks if youre interested.

Looking at Cobb's site, it looks like they've moved the sensor to be behind the rear cat, instead of in front of it. It's my understanding that this should be sufficient to pass the visual inspection part of the emissions, but I'm not DEQ-certified to say that or anything.

Let me know how much you're looking for on the stock pipe and we may be in business.

I'd let you borrow mine if you where in Pa.

My car is up for inspection soon and I hope it will pass, though I'm going to my buddy's shop so I doubt I'd have any problem at all.Good thing I have friends who work on cars all day or I'd have a feeling my "catted" down pipe wouldn't pass even a visual inspection.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

where are you located?

I'm in ashburn and I have my 07 stock dp just lying around

I'm over in Fort Belvoir--not too far from your side of town. Looks like you go to Mason as well (that's where I went)?

I could certainly use the pipe. If I can borrow/have/buy it, that'd be awesome.

Archived