LegacyGT.com

Really, BK !?

So, I was poking around under the hood Friday morning when I got to work. Trying to trace a noise, and coincidentally- a smell. Saw that the short rubber connector between the p/s fluid tank and the return line was shooting fluid on top of the block and the alternator, and anything else in close proximity. Luckily I wanted nothing more than to repair this in 20 degree weather. Power steering fix was cake. Deciding to split the alternator and do bearings and brush/regulator.....Yeah. Now the battery light comes on coupled with the brake lamp when at idle. This frustrates me, cause I take pride in my work. Any ideas?

Did you clean the armature area where the brushes make contact? I use a scuff pad to shine it up a bit when I do a starter or alternator. Make sure the brushes are moving freely and no grime is left from the old brushes.

Yes. Luckily this isn't my first rodeo. I am thorough when it comes to a more precision component. Turns out, the parts I got for the install weren't correct for the series of alternator. The alternator was from an outback of a different year, and I have learned my '98 has a quantity of specific parts. Ended up getting a rebuilt part from O'Reillys. Good parts. There is definitely a "break-in" period. But all seems well now. I appreciate the flow of information on this site. Thank you.

Archived