LegacyGT.com

Anyone resurface their DBA Rotors?

peteyjr

Inquired about getting my DBA rotors cut when I install my Wilwood calipers. A nearby brakeshop said they couldn't cut/resurface them? Something about them messing up their equipment. I never of that before. Don't see what is different about the DBA'a vs stock other than the thickness. They have about 20 k miles on them and have plenty of beef. I would really like to reuse them but get them resurfaced. Anyone have input.

Thanks in advance

I called around maybe 10 shops and no one would cut my DBA Rotors. I have DBA 4000 Slotted rotors, and they were warped since I bought them used for a Brembo conversion.

All of the shops said no to cutting the rotors because of the slots. Finally found a small gas station 30 miles away with a shop, and the guy said he would do it for me for 10$ each. He cut them and its been fine ever since, I did notice after he cut them, the surface of the rotors looked like they have little finger nail groves in them simmular to those Alcon brake rotors. But they are gone now so I guess everything is fine.

Thanks for the info. They didn't mention it was because they are in fact slotted (DBA 4000's). They really don't pulse much at all . I do want to start fresh and may in fact do new rotors.

Mike, I know you have alot of experience with different rotors. What is your opinion on other makes? I'm inclined to either reuse my DBA's or possible get new ones . Honestly they have been one of the best rotors I've ever had. They are only iffy with severe track duty (at least thats what I've read). I mostly autocross and do 2-3 track days a year.

Personally, when I bought DBA 4000s for my car I decided to do a little test. I kept track of how long they lasted and under what conditions. After our experiment, we figured out that Centric Plain rotors lasted about 10% shorter than the DBA 4000s, however the cost difference was almost 50% more for the DBAs. So in the end we decided to just use the Centric rotors from then on. I've used centrics on my LGT, CTS-V, and when the time comes probably put them on my STi as well.

These cars see about 1-2 track days a month and severe NYC/NJ driving.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived