LegacyGT.com

DRL wiring question

Can anyone explain to me how the DRL circuit works on my 2008 legacy 3.0R? I'm wanting to bypass the DRL's built into the headlights and wire the DRL circuit into some LED lights which are in the housing but I still want to retain high beam function through the stock bulb. Hopefully this makes sense.

Well, if you use LED bulbs for the DRL. You won't have high beam. I currently have LED bulbs w/ module so the LEDs is at full power at DRL. So you won't be able to high beam others.

OR, you are just asking how to disable DRL? And wire a LED strip or something?

No what I want to do is solder in some sort of diode or resistor into the positive wire that goes to the light bulb for the DRL/High Beams so that power will only go through if it's over a certain voltage, say 5 volts. That way my DRL module (which I currently am bypassing via the DRL disable mod) can remain plugged in and I can piggyback a relay before the soldered in diode to switch on with 2.6 volts of power or less which switches a 12 volt source to activate an LED light strip that I have placed in the headlight. This in turn will act as my DRL's and when I go to turn the high beams on the diode will allow the power to the high beam light bulb and all will be good.

It's making sense in my head it's moreso finding someone with actual electrical background to tell me more or less what I need to get.

I am looking for somthing similar but for an 06 (which has the running lights on the low beams, but they need to be disabled because of HID's) so kinda in the same boat.

What about leaving the factory DRL disabled, and adding an aftermarket DRL modual to run whatever light you want? (this is what I am thinking about doing, but its so cold right now, dont want to be outside.)

Archived