LegacyGT.com

Hissing noise when clutch is engaged

I recently started to notice a noise coming from my engine bay. At first I noticed a squeal like a belt so I check all that but the noise eventually stopped. (It mainly did it during cold starts and once it got warmed up it was fine) I didnt think anything of it until, recently. I started to notice when I start my car it hisses very lightly but when I engage my clutch the hissing gets louder. Then eventually as the car gets warmer the noise softens and can no longer be heard at idle only when the clutch is engaged.

These two problems maybe different but I don't know. I am set to go home on leave (650 miles each way) soon and I want to know if its safe to drive with.

Does anyone have any ideas? I go on road trips often and this makes me really uneasy and drives me a little crazy. :spin:

Sounds like it could be the throw out bearing. It usually makes noise either when the clutch pedal is out or when it's engaged or both. Mine started off like yours but progressively got worse until it was very loud at all times. Nothing too urgent, from what I understand it just makes a noise but won't severely damage anything. If the bearing does go all together though you will not be able to put it in gear. Depending on mileage and how your clutch is, the labor is the same to replace just the bearing as it is to replace the whole clutch so you might consider getting a whole new clutch.

Sounds like it could be the throw out bearing. It usually makes noise either when the clutch pedal is out or when it's engaged or both. Mine started off like yours but progressively got worse until it was very loud at all times. Nothing too urgent, from what I understand it just makes a noise but won't severely damage anything. If the bearing does go all together though you will not be able to put it in gear. Depending on mileage and how your clutch is, the labor is the same to replace just the bearing as it is to replace the whole clutch so you might consider getting a whole new clutch.

Thanks I appreciate it. I have about 108000 miles on it and I am almost positive it is the original clutch. How much was it to get yours replaced? How long did yours last after the noise began? If I am going to have it replaced I am going to have the clutch replaced as well.

Thanks I appreciate it. I have about 108000 miles on it and I am almost positive it is the original clutch. How much was it to get yours replaced? How long did yours last after the noise began? If I am going to have it replaced I am going to have the clutch replaced as well.

I went with the 07+ oem clutch with the smfw along with the tsk3 kit. Parts for all of that were around $730, that's for full clutch replacement, install prices will vary. Mine lasted at least 2-3 months before it got really bad, I replaced before it failed all together. At 108k it wouldn't make sense not to replace the whole clutch, if you were to just replace tho TOB & the clutch were to go soon after, you would have to pay double labor. Best to get a whole new setup while their in there.

Archived