LegacyGT.com

Test drove a Legacy GT this morning.

:cool: Hey Stew - thanks for the info. I'm in Winnipeg.

Here's the deal I got yesterday. I asked for 3 years, 40,000kms, 'cause I can't bear to buy again with the mileage I put on.

Legacy GT Limited, AT. $39,650, Zero cash down. 2.8%, $17910 is the residual value. Monthly payment is $775.09.

A new 330xi will be somewhere over $50,000, hence well over 1000/month for a lease.

Where are you? I go to Subaru de Sources in Montreal.

So I stopped by Subaru on the ay home and let them appraise my car. Waiting for the call later on tonight to see if their number will match my loan. If yes, I go to wife to tell her what's up. If not, I keep the Bimmer and run it into the ground!

Here's the deal I got yesterday. I asked for 3 years, 40,000kms, 'cause I can't bear to buy again with the mileage I put on.

Legacy GT Limited, AT. $39,650, Zero cash down. 2.8%, $17910 is the residual value. Monthly payment is $775.09.

A new 330xi will be somewhere over $50,000, hence well over 1000/month for a lease.

Where are you? I go to Subaru de Sources in Montreal.

Here in Alberta, I was negotiating on a LGT Ltd. I was basically getting your price minus the cost of the auto, since I am looking at a manual. That price seems like a fair deal.

Here in Alberta, I was negotiating on a LGT Ltd. I was basically getting your price minus the cost of the auto, since I am looking at a manual. That price seems like a fair deal.

This dealership has been putting up with me since last year when I was initially car shopping (04 Outback, yuck).

I've drivern 05 OB Turbo, 05 OB 2.5i, 3.0OB, Legacy turbo in the snow, Legacy Turbo in spring, Impreza Wagon RS, Impreza Sedan WRX...

I want them to make a little money off me!!! Don't get me wrong, a deal is a deal, but a guy is entitled to his reward for his work too. I live off commissions and I understand their pain.

BTW, I'm afraid to drive the manual, I might like it too much.

That's wierd, does anyone have an explanation for it?

I can assure you 99% that the 5EAT doesn't stink, with 1% for that lemon.

I just passed 19000 miles on my GT Sedan and the 5EAT is running strong and smell-free, even with my very hard driving.

As for the smell, my hypothesis is that it's coming from the engine bay if you have the temp set to heating and the ventilation set to get air from outside the car, which passes air through the engine's heater core and right into the cabin.

If you drive your car very very spiritedly, reconsider the manual transmission. RECONSIDER THE 5MT.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I can assure you 99% that the 5EAT doesn't stink, with 1% for that lemon.

I just passed 19000 miles on my GT Sedan and the 5EAT is running strong and smell-free, even with my very hard driving.

As for the smell, my hypothesis is that it's coming from the engine bay if you have the temp set to heating and the ventilation set to get air from outside the car, which passes air through the engine's heater core and right into the cabin.

If you drive your car very very spiritedly, reconsider the manual transmission. RECONSIDER THE 5MT.

Mojo

And save $1200 bucks in the process, eh? I'm really torn on the AT vs. MT. I haven't bought an AT in a car ever. I have a '98 Jimmy, and of course it is AT, and my wife's X5 is AT. She is bugging me to at least get AT since I drive so much. Okay, okay, I'll TRY the MT. The AT in the LGT is truly VERY nice I have no complaints with it, and the steering wheel mounted buttons are great, don't you find?

How is your sport seat holding up?? And does the lack of tilt steering bug you?

I saw about the Xenon group buy, and while I do like my Xenons a lot, I wouldn't upgrade the car since it's a lease. I can live without NAV, if I did get a NAV it would be a portable unit ( I own three vehicles).

My only hurdle is the wife (BMW nut), but if I get AT it should make her happy. She hates my short shifter (when I let her drive the car), and she has her X5, so leave me alone!

This is the heart of wisdom if you have multiple vehicles. I have a Garmin GPS V and with the portable dash mount unit and laptop and power connection, I can cross deck them to any of the cars in the stable with no effort at all. Plus, I can set at my desktop computer and program the various pieces in that I want for a specific trip application (e.g., trip to a distant rally site and then put in the rally coordinates - and this with whatever car you're using, maybe not even your own.)

Sounds like the X5 stays her car but watch out, once she gets a taste for what the GT is capable of... me thinks you may just be driving the X5. Just an opinion but I've seen it happen before, expecially on automatics. You may want to think about a 5MT, with a STS just to make sure you retain some semblance of control.:)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sounds like the X5 stays her car but watch out, once she gets a taste for what the GT is capable of... me thinks you may just be driving the X5. Just an opinion but I've seen it happen before, expecially on automatics. You may want to think about a 5MT, with a STS just to make sure you retain some semblance of control.:)

SBT

:D Does the STS make a big diff, and can it be dealer installed? I guess with the money I save on the AT I could afford a STS. I truly like a short shifter. The X5's mileage is very good if driven within reason, so I could see her going nuts on me! But she is a SUV gal, that's how she swings!

And save $1200 bucks in the process, eh? I'm really torn on the AT vs. MT. I haven't bought an AT in a car ever. I have a '98 Jimmy, and of course it is AT, and my wife's X5 is AT. She is bugging me to at least get AT since I drive so much. Okay, okay, I'll TRY the MT. The AT in the LGT is truly VERY nice I have no complaints with it, and the steering wheel mounted buttons are great, don't you find?

How is your sport seat holding up?? And does the lack of tilt steering bug you?

The 5EAT is awesome. It is very good during turns because I can keep my hands on the wheel, change gears and I don't have to fear the wheel being ripped from my left hand. Also I think if you don't shift fast enough during turns on a 5MT, you may break the wheels loose, which is not possible on the 5EAT because you never lose 100% torque like you would on a 5MT. Plus if you are willing to void the warranty, Stage 1 will match or take a 5MT.

I'm 6" and 220 LBS, and I concentrate so much during daily driving that I probably don't realize any discomfort. I've also gone on a 1000 mile road trip and I haven't experienced any discomfort. The seat is pretty good, but with my hard driving style, I would prefer more side support and a lap belt, now I'm overdoing it. We have tilt steering but the lack of telescope steering has never bugged me.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

This dealership has been putting up with me since last year when I was initially car shopping (04 Outback, yuck).

I've drivern 05 OB Turbo, 05 OB 2.5i, 3.0OB, Legacy turbo in the snow, Legacy Turbo in spring, Impreza Wagon RS, Impreza Sedan WRX...

I want them to make a little money off me!!! Don't get me wrong, a deal is a deal, but a guy is entitled to his reward for his work too. I live off commissions and I understand their pain.

BTW, I'm afraid to drive the manual, I might like it too much.

My salesman told me what the markup is and said work backwards to the invoice. Then add 4% and that is what he would do for me. They still make a profit and I get a decent deal. :cool:

My salesman told me what the markup is and said work backwards to the invoice. Then add 4% and that is what he would do for me. They still make a profit and I get a decent deal. :cool:

As long as everyone is happy we don't get fleeced at service time!

The 5EAT is awesome. It is very good during turns because I can keep my hands on the wheel, change gears and I don't have to fear the wheel being ripped from my left hand. Also I think if you don't shift fast enough during turns on a 5MT, you may break the wheels loose, which is not possible on the 5EAT because you never lose 100% torque like you would on a 5MT. Plus if you are willing to void the warranty, Stage 1 will match or take a 5MT.

This is why I'm leaning towards the AT, I find it works really well and the buttons keep both my hands on the wheel.

I'm 6" and 220 LBS, and I concentrate so much during daily driving that I probably don't realize any discomfort. I've also gone on a 1000 mile road trip and I haven't experienced any discomfort. The seat is pretty good, but with my hard driving style, I would prefer more side support and a lap belt, now I'm overdoing it. We have tilt steering but the lack of telescope steering has never bugged me.

Mojo

Good I'm 6'1" 195, the seat will be fine. Thanks for your input.

So the dealer looked at my Bimmer last night and will come in with a number that is superior to my loan...and considering my accident last March I'm in trade-in shock! I thought it would have devalued more.

Now it's time to talk to the wife!

5EAT(wife-friendly) or 5MT(me-only-friendly)?

Mojo

I think after 25 years of clutching and yanking I'll go with the super smooth AT with the steering wheel shifters for a couple of years. This way I'll have more hands with which to eat McD's, chat on the cell and sip my Starbucks.:eek:

stew about the seats, I've got the Un-Limited GT, so I have the cloth, not leather, seats.

Mojo

Right. I drove the 3.0 Wagon and the cloth seats are pretty darn ood too.

So my wife is on board now (she was shocked I wanted to dump the Bimmer), it took twenty minutes or so, but I can get the car. Except she didn't like the styling of the sedan (what's not to like?). She's like, get the wagon. Boy, that throws a stick in the spoke, 'cause I like the wagon too. But I've already got the X5 and the Jimmy, I need a daily commuter.

Over at Subaruoutback.org it seems like owners are getting worse mileage in their turbo outbacks than Legacy owners are getting here. Is that due to tires and suspension? It's the same engine... Shoudl I start a new thread?

And what's with those sissy windshields I keep hearing about? I'm going to ask the service manager at my dealership and see what his face says before his mouth answers.

Archived