LegacyGT.com

5eat missing gears, big problems

mr2qik

Ok so I bought my 06 limited gt wagon last spring it had 45k on it and has a whole slew of upgrades including a turbo upgrade, FMIC, 880 injectors, exhaust, intake.. Etc. its still under waurantee untill 60k. In the first 3 months i went through 3 transmissions.I finally thought i got a good one but, fast forward 6 months to today and now my 5eat is missing gears and the "sport" light flashing. I can take it to subaru for a free trans. but im afraid another 5 months im gonna be in the same position. So im looking for a real fix, not a band aid. Im thinking the factory trans is just too weak for the upgrades on the car. I also dont know what computer upgrades are on the car. I was looking into ipt for a bulletproof replacement. But I just want to make sure that this is the problem before I drop a sizeable ammout of money. I should mention that I dont race the car. Its just a daily driver that i can occasionally have some fun gettting on the highway with. Nothing too streneous.

The parts were installed by a subaru certified shop so it didnt void the warranty. Which helped alot. Im dropping it off again today for another free trans.. that should buy me about 6 months to save up for a Ipt trans. As for the amount of power im making I don't think its a crazy number. Im still only running 15psi but I think the tq kills the trans. cause when the turbo kicks in you feel it. big time.

... it and has a whole slew of upgrades including a turbo upgrade, FMIC, 880 injectors, exhaust, intake.. Etc. ... In the first 3 months i went through 3 transmissions... I can take it to subaru for a free trans...

i must meet your dealership :)

Well I dropped it off again today. We will see what they say.

I bought the car from a dealership in Chicago but the car is originally from Missouri. When I bought it, it came with a list of modifications but im sure not everything was on it. I saw the add realized it was a great buy and picked it up. turns out it had a spec b suspension, and spec b 18" wheels, custom exhaust. All I know was that the guy was a gov. agent and had extra money to spend. Im glad he spent it on Top notch parts.

SZ49 turbo

perrin - 810 injectors

perrin - fuel pump

Perrin - up pipe

Perrin - down pipe w/ cat

Perrin - cai

Perrin - bcs

Quite the list of up grades.

I'm sorry to hear that other Subaru customers have been subsidizing your transmissions. Once you double the stock output you should be paying for repairs.

Replacing the transmission obviously isn't the solution. You'd think after the first 3 you and the shop would understand that. It simply isn't designed to hold that much power. It'll continue to fail until it's replaced with a beefier aftermarket setup.

Well one trans died in one day because they didnt flush it before they installed it. Obviously their fault and the 2nd died in about a week. Again their fault. This is the first one that i actually had for a decent ammout of time before failing. I figured it was the trans fault. cause they wouldn't cover it if it was too much power right? Equally their fault as it is mine. So I just kept taking it back. Now I understand whats really going on. I intend to baby this trans untill i can get the ipt trans in. Thanks for the input everyone.

The information and advice in this thread is bad news for the OP, and would lead him to spend 4.5k, most of which will be overkill according to the OP's stated usage. Shame.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The information and advice in this thread is bad news for the OP, and would lead him to spend 4.5k, most of which will be overkill according to the OP's stated usage. Shame.

I've heard the sz49 can make 350-400+ whp.. And that's NOT an issue?

Or did I miss a sarcasm tag somewhere?

I've heard the sz49 can make 350-400+ whp.. And that's NOT an issue?

Or did I miss a sarcasm tag somewhere?

SZ49 is around 49lb/min, which is FP Green / GT3071-sized. 350whp is about right with FMIC. EXCEPT at 15psi, that projected number goes down more to 'max'd out 20G' territory, but with a later boost threshold.

If a SZ49 makes 400+ whp, it's on E85 or race gas. If not, and it's still making 400+whp, then my Toyota Avalon makes 300whp :lol: But we can rule out E85 because "810 injectors," which are going to be max'd out with a turbo this size on E85, even with an FMIC allowing for leaner AFR, and lower boost.

If the OP has slipping clutches, which is something that should have been asked, then his problem will perhaps be prevented next time with a simple Valve Body Modification. He doesn't need a "Fully Built Trans" or a "Built Torque Converter" or any of that.

Gotsugg, who posted in this thread, has a GT3071 with stock 5eat except he also has the IPT VB. Last I checked, his car is reported to be fast as hell and working fine.

The recent crop of 5eat experts who get ALL their information from forum hear-say and speculation is not all that good for the wallets of people who mistakenly take their advise as actually being based on reliable research and data on the Jatco RE507E.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I wasn't trying to argue about exactly how much an sz49 can make (I don't know that much about turbos, honestly) - I looked up a couple of STIs and saw their numbers were in the 350-400 range. Without knowing the exact tune, etc., I'm just suggesting he could be in the 350 whp range.

m sprank was WAY less than that when his 5EAT died - WITH VB mod. So, to say that at 300+ whp, you're ok with just a VB mod, IMHO, isn't 100% correct either..

The recent crop of 5eat experts who get ALL their information from forum hear-say and speculation is not all that good for the wallets of people who mistakenly take their advise as actually being based on reliable research and data on the Jatco RE507E.

i'm not crop, am i :lol:

it sounds like I may be able to get by with just an IPT VB? This may solve my problem, if not I have to buy the full trans anyway. Sounds like a good way to spend 800 rather than 4500. Am I correct in thinking this?

it sounds like I may be able to get by with just an IPT VB? This may solve my problem, if not I have to buy the full trans anyway. Sounds like a good way to spend 800 rather than 4500. Am I correct in thinking this?

Precisely. I have heard one intelligent and experienced person in the 5eat community say "upgraded clutch packs" are maybe only 10% better than the stock ones. There is no truly high-power upgrade kit for the 5eat. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something. IPT's upgraded torque converter is a complete waste. Our torque converter is already "high stall." Our clutch pack in the torque converter is fine, at least so far as forum posts can tell us. So WHY would you pay $900 for something you already have? IPT's full build also includes "cryo treating" the internals. Which never break. Except the center diff, which does break, but only if you do aggressive torque brake launches where the torque is just through the roof, in which case it should break. Much better the center diff than something actually hard to replace, relatively speaking. So you could unbolt the tail housing and ship JUST that off to be cryo treated. If you want, but there is no point unless drag racing is in your future. The only people who break the center diff are doing very aggressive launches. Even then, you could just do frank_ster's mod of putting brass dowels in replacement of the stock fragile needle bearings.

If you're in my camp of thought, then you will believe the IPT VB to be a good investment since it mechanically increases the hydraulic pressures/flows seen through the transmission. This in turn applies faster and firmer pressure to actuate engagement of the clutch packs in the transmission (there are MANY). During a shift is where you need it the most, since there is purposeful clutch engagement taking place. You do not want those clutches to spin, causing huge friction and heat which will turn them into smooth, useless disks!

Worst case scenario, if you have already bought the IPT VB mod, and the trans dies anyways, then IPT will discount the cost of the VB mod from the full build. So you would just have to eat the cost of a trans drop and replace one more time.

If it was me, I would just do the IPT VB mod, or another VB mod if you want to try a different shop, such as http://www.coluscitransmissions.com/

^^^ They put a slightly augmented TransGo 350Z Valve Body kit and drilling procedure into LieutenantColumbo's 5eat. Since the Nissan/Infiniti 5eat and LGT 5eat share the Jatco JR507E trans platform, with minor differences to convert to AWD and control that extra AWD lockup clutch pack, they can still do a successful VB mod. Ask for Jeff. He may or may not do it with just the VB present, sans transmission.

Most trans professionals want to default "race build" every trans that comes in the door. Sometimes it is necessary depending on the trans model and application. But, IMHO, I do not see sufficient evidence that the lot of various JR507E transmissions out there need anything besides a shift kit to hold considerably more power than stock. There are 350Z/G35 5eat'ers out there with Twin Turbo or N20 setups (kind of like a SZ49) and they don't get on their soap boxes about the 5eat failing all the time. Since in the last 5 years of forum posts we've heard of less than one dozen 5eats failing from non-ATF-flush causes, and most of those are center diff, which I suspect Jatco just threw on there to accommodate Subaru's order, but didn't engineer it to the same level of durability as the rest of the JR507E. They did get it right though since the center diff is bulletproof in stock power level form. It makes sense AWD is not built up to a higher level since the bread and butter of Jatco's JR507E is more Nissan and Infiniti models, as RWD high perdormance models were the build goal.

SZ49 is around 49lb/min, which is FP Green / GT3071-sized. 350whp is about right with FMIC. EXCEPT at 15psi, that projected number goes down more to 'max'd out 20G' territory, but with a later boost threshold.

If a SZ49 makes 400+ whp, it's on E85 or race gas. If not, and it's still making 400+whp, then my Toyota Avalon makes 300whp :lol: But we can rule out E85 because "810 injectors," which are going to be max'd out with a turbo this size on E85, even with an FMIC allowing for leaner AFR, and lower boost.

If the OP has slipping clutches, which is something that should have been asked, then his problem will perhaps be prevented next time with a simple Valve Body Modification. He doesn't need a "Fully Built Trans" or a "Built Torque Converter" or any of that.

Gotsugg, who posted in this thread, has a GT3071 with stock 5eat except he also has the IPT VB. Last I checked, his car is reported to be fast as hell and working fine.

Which means I've arguably been putting more tq through my DD stock unit than the OP for years -- and my car has never been late with a shift.

My trans has 120,000 miles on it. 20,000 of those were stg. 2+, another 30,000 stg. 3 @ 21psi, and the latest 40,000 with a turbo that flows near 20g numbers with a daily meth curve to boot.

I'll represent that I don't track, but when I need to go, I don't need a push either -- this statement is key, I'll get to that later.

Obviously, I don't subscribe to the glass 5eat club. But I've seen enough in detail, that I'm not foolhardy in how much faith I'd invest in it.

For the record, last I checked gotsugg is also wise enough to be prepared to do an MT swap at the drop of a hanky.

What more "reliable research and data" is there than a massed pool of operators using the same equipment for relatively similar application, if one's intention is to form an expectation for when he/she follows suit?

When scientists finish with calculation, simulation, etc., they go to the real world to test the validity of their figures. Well, there certainly is quite a bit of unearthing to do at times, but that real world is here in neat little squares with labels if one cares enough to seek it out. The data is here, albeit in not so many numerals.

I've followed just about every related post in the past 5 years since people began putting >stock power through this trans in this car. I've carefully trod in their footprints, sidestepping as I felt necessary. And I've regrettably seen several fine and intelligent gents' 5eats step right off the cliff around the time they stepped up to zilla in question here. I'll add that by the time they started slipping, a VB wasn't enough to save them. That's not hearsay or speculation, it's a billboard for the rest of us to read, or to drive right past.

What more importantly I've learned in that expense of time, study, and practice is that both driver (driver style) and power level are equally to be held in highest consideration for anyone wishing to give sound advice on the subject (5eat + mods) -- if an advisor hasn't learned that by now, I wouldn't hold their advice in very high regard (no matter how many times the smart ringing of the model number finds reverberation). There is no magic power threshold for the masses. There is no broad mathmatical formula of guarantee with this or that bolt-on aid; anyone claiming there is, is frankly full of shit. Just because 1 or 2 guys are holding 400whp with just a VB and a few coolers is not an ironclad assurance; historically, statistically, it is an exception -- and even as the particular performance/hold-up impresses, they know it. A bolt-up 30R may not be enough to kill it for one guy, but I'd bet my face it is more than enough for others.

Here is a gent who has gone through more transaxles in >1 year than most see in three different cars' lifetimes. Clearly the power in addition to his habits is destructive to the unit in an atypical way.

Suggesting that a VB might solve his current issue, and perhaps might allow him to comfortably continue his march on the next replacement with impunity is bordering on irresponsible in the way it is late with respect, both to history and the circumstances of the case in point.

For some reason after having read this entire thread I got this mental image of Jim Carrey in Liar Liar yelling to that guy on the phone

stop breaking the law, asshole!

Opie, stop breaking transmissions, asshole :lol:

Joking aside, opie, try to source a healthy transmission and build it up.

m sprank was WAY less than that when his 5EAT died - WITH VB mod. So, to say that at 300+ whp, you're ok with just a VB mod, IMHO, isn't 100% correct either..

^x2

There are no promises with 5eat. For every guy who gets away with IPT VB and is happy there is one who didn't.

Archived