LegacyGT.com

Any way to change the auto-disable cutoff weight for passanger airbag?

direavenger

Hey guys,

I have a LGT LTD 5MT, and I have an interesting problem :rolleyes:. My girlfriend is a pretty light person, and the airbag turns off because it does not sense enough weight on the seat (I think the limit is 80 lbs). Is there any way to change this threshold? Thanks.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Is your girlfriend under the age of 16? but seriously.... If you remove the seat, you have to take the car back to the dealer to get the damn thing recalibrated. So I would assume you could take it in and have it recalibrated to meet her needs as well. Give the dealer a call and explain your situation.

If you called SOA, they would probly spit out some legal bable saying that due to her size, she should sit in the backseat as that would be the safest place....akin to a child.

side note.. Easton..woot... we should get an ABE meet going. Quakertown people can come too

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Yeah she's 22...5'0" and 95 lbs. I guess its a call to the dealer then...

Hmm...I'm looking at your info and you sound familiar, you didn't put NOS in a Jeep Cherokee once, did you?

Yeah she's 22...5'0" and 95 lbs. I guess its a call to the dealer then...

Hmm...I'm looking at your info and you sound familiar, you didn't put NOS in a Jeep Cherokee once, did you?

1) Tell your girlfriend to eat a sammich!

2) ????

3) Profit!

Actually. I *am* an inconsiderate ass.

The airbag is activated by two things, seatbelt clicked and weight (I think this is 45 lbs)

If your gf wears her seatbelt, or can't activate the weight check.. then take it to the dealer and make sure its calibrated. They have a 45lbs ass they sit in the seat and use.

If the seat is 100% working, and its still not working... then your gf is unsafe in the front seat. The airbag not going off is probably better for her anyway

Actually she eats like crazy, she's just small. I'll assume that comment was a result of boredom and not because you're an inconsiderate ass.

Bwhahahahah!

"eat a sammich" is an OTism from NASIOC....

But I am known to have no filter :)

Actually she eats like crazy, she's just small. I'll assume that comment was a result of boredom and not because you're an inconsiderate ass.

My x-wife is the same way. She just had a baby 9 days ago and she's already back to her size 3. :lol:

Did the dealer say that the front seat calibration was changable?

I got my response from SoA, and they told me in the nicest way possible to f-off...

"We are sorry to learn of the circumstances that caused you to write to us here at Subaru of America, Inc. regarding your Legacy GT airbag calibration. The passenger seat is calibrated to 80 pounds so any weight on the seat above 80 pounds will activate the airbag safety system. Please note that how the passenger sits in the seat will affect the operation of the system. Your owners manual between pages 1-70 and 1-74 details the correct position for the seat and passenger to ensure the system is working correctly.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us and have documented your concerns here. We use this data to track performance and guide our efforts to continue to improve our products and services. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-Subaru3 (1-800-782-2783)."

I guess the threshold cannot be changed.

I got my response from SoA, and they told me in the nicest way possible to f-off...

"We are sorry to learn of the circumstances that caused you to write to us here at Subaru of America, Inc. regarding your Legacy GT airbag calibration. The passenger seat is calibrated to 80 pounds so any weight on the seat above 80 pounds will activate the airbag safety system. Please note that how the passenger sits in the seat will affect the operation of the system. Your owners manual between pages 1-70 and 1-74 details the correct position for the seat and passenger to ensure the system is working correctly.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us and have documented your concerns here. We use this data to track performance and guide our efforts to continue to improve our products and services. If we can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-Subaru3 (1-800-782-2783)."

I guess the threshold cannot be changed.

I'm not seeing how they told you to f off....

But I just read that section the other night, and there are several conditions that must be set for the airbag to turn on.

Re-read pages 1-70 through 1-74 in your owners manual...

lol yeah I know they didn't tell me that, but they still didn't answer any of the questions that I asked in my initial e-mail.

I am aware of the conditions for the airbag to be on, and I've tested them extensively with my girlfriend (I wish she had a cutoff switch too). I just wanted to know if the threshold could be adjusted, a question that SoA did not answer.

Archived