LegacyGT.com

ok so i have this td 05 16g here.....

and idk if i should jus swap it or keep my stocker. its only got a thousand miles on it, and my buddy literally jus gave it to me. i read up a lil on it and its supposedly like a vf39 (sti style turbo). i also read it can make at least 300whp well tuned, soooo what should i do?

It probably won't bolt onto your car without other mods unless it's a LGT-specific turbo like BNR makes. You'd have to use another intercooler or something else to make its output connect to your throttle body.

What JohnM said is correct. Unless it's a custom built unit like the BNR unit (which utilizes the OEM IHI housing,) it will not bolt directly up.

I've been doing some turbo research lately, and I'm so overwhelmed with information. I think I may consider a td05 16G when my OEM turbo craps out.

yeah i mean my buddy gave it to me for helping with his part out. its freshly rebuilt too so a barely new turbo i guess haha. ive done alot of research on it too, im jus trying to figure out what i would need to put this guy on.

Well your buddy should know if it's the modified BNR turbo which bolts right up (assuming your buddy was parting out an LGT,) or if it's in a different housing and needs some fabbing to get in.

if its sti style it'll bolt into place to the uppipe and downpipe but the intercooler will not fit (if you have the stock lgt or aftermarket lgt style). you'll need a front mount or sti manifold swap (sti tb as well inc lines) or i do believe there is a top mount intercooler that will work with sti style turbo and still bolt into the lgt style throttle body.

Archived