LegacyGT.com

Help me put fuel in my Legacy

I have a 1997 Legacy wagon. It's a 2.2L with a 5 speed base model. I got it this summer and am finally fed up with this problem I am having.

Every time I go to put fuel in this car, the auto shut off feature of the gas pump will not stop overreacting. I have to feather the handle and constantly fight the pump telling me the gas tank is full when it is most certainly not. Is there some kind of vent to the tank that is malfunctioning? What could cause such a problem?

It almost seems to me like the the filler extends too far for the fuel handle to reach into, as if it is just on the inside of the filler. Is there is any kind of aftermarket filler for this car that might correct it? In my readings on the internet, I haven't found such an example of fueling issues. Thanks for the help. If pictures would help I can try to provide some.

-Drew

When you open your gas cap is there a lot of pressure?

Where do you live? If you live in a salty state there may be an issue with your filler neck. I have to agree with johnegg on this one, most likely a evap problem.

I haven't noticed any pressure when opening the cap and haven't ever had a vapor lock issue. I live in Memphis but I'm fairly certain the car came down from Chicago in the last five years. Where would I start looking for evap problems?

Thanks for the replies,

-drew

I have never been around the fuel tank area, but i would start with making sure there is nothing lose or disconnected around the filler neck. Its would be a pain, but pulling the filler neck and making sure it isn't clogged maybe???

it's not the filler neck itself, it is the vent tubes that connect to it, i think.

the gas pumps shut off due to ''back pressure'', or something like that. if the gas tank does not vent properly or maybe the filler tube it creates back pressure that should not be there.

this is as close as i can get. i know i have read a similar thread over on ultimatesubaru.org but it was a long time ago and i could not find it when i searched. some one else over there may remember and be able to help.

I just kind of put the nozzle in halfway when I fill up. If i put it in all the way it'll shut it off a bunch of times, but it is usually fine if I hold it out halfway.

Funny you say this, right now that is standard protocol but it doesn't really help that much. I have tried using the nozzle upside down and sideways but not great results. If I can't find anything in my inspection I'll just get a funnel or something. Tennessee isn't too strict on the CARB issues yet :lol:.

Archived