LegacyGT.com

Wow FML no power

So this morning I was driving my car and it went into safe mode with the CEL light on and the cruise control blinking. It threw up an advanced timing code so I cleared it. I went about my errands driving it like a granny until I could take a better look at it. However on the highway I began to lose power, so I down shifted and still no power. I kept hearing a whinding noise when ever I gave it throttle. I basically rolled to a stop on the side of the highway on the shoulder and got a tow to a tuning shop I know. Everyone Ive talked to Says it sounds like it jumped a tooth and threw the timing off. Im hoping it's something simple as just a stretched timing belt. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this before??

Oh yeah I forgot to add that it starts and idles fine. Clutch still grabs gears fine and it'll drive at about 5mph max. I don't hear any knocks or odd sounds Coming from the block, just the whining sound that sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine. Kinda why I'm thinking it's the timing belt.

Timing covers are easy to pull off. Just pull them off, line up the mark on the crank. If the marks all line up on the cams, then that isn't your problem. If they aren't aligned, then best bet would be to try a new belt. But keep in mind these are interference engines and clearance is very tight, so the timing being off may have caused the valves and pistons to hit in 1 or more cyls.

Ok turbo definitely went, no grenade fortunately. I'm looking at my options and I guess it's a good time to start my mods haha. Gonna sent the vf40 out for Bnr for a rebuild with 18g internals, get new up pipe, down pipe, some ss oil lines for the turbo, and do the banjo bolt filter mod. I also have to replace the oil pan cuz of a small leak from an oversized plug. Since the oil is getting changed with the turbo might as well, and since that'll be open might as well replace the oil pick up and pump. And since I'll be making more power I'm gonna replace the timing belt with a nylon or Kevlar belt, replace water pump and all other drive belts at the same time and clean the injectors. Shouldn't be too bad on stock TMIC for a while. Looking to get a modest tune for dd/family car but still fun to drive.

Archived