LegacyGT.com

Center Diff going bad. Options?

KGracey

So this all started after got a flat tire and had to drive about 25 miles home on a spare. I've read multiple times that the spare is supposed to go on the back of the car, which it was. When I got home and got out of the car I definitely smelled something. Anyways, a couple days later I noticed a noise under acceleration on the freeway. I took it into the shop and they confirmed that the center diff was going :mad:

They quoted me around $1700 for parts and labor to rebuild it. I've done a bunch of searching on here and there aren't many solutions. I can't afford the $1700 right this moment so I have to drive on it for a couple weeks then bite the bullet and have it rebuilt.

Are there any other options? Would it be worth it to look around for a used center diff or should I stay away?

Can't help you with your question but it raises another. Isn't there a fuse you are supposed to pull to disable the AWD for these situations? Not trying to pick on you, just asking for future reference....

I looked into that as well (spent 30 minutes on the side of the road on my phone looking for answers because I had heard stuff like that too). I looked in both fuse boxes and the owners manual and didn't see anything.

I also remember finding something about the fuse being specific to the previous gen LGT. But it was a couple weeks ago so I don't remember specifics.

I just went out and got my owners manual, I have a 2006 2.5i w/ 4eat. For my car, my manual clearly states (chapter 9) that I would need to disable the AWD if I put on the spare by placing a fuse into a specific location. It was not auto or manual specific. It also clearly stated that this feature was NOT for the GT or those with 3.0. Now I'm curious as to what your manual says....

Yea I remember scouring it on the side of the road. It said absolutely nothing about a fuse that I could find (it is a GT).

Some quick searching of the interwebs shows that everyone talking about it is driving a 4eat so maybe thats the answer.

So that begs the question, what are the GT & 3.0 owners supposed to do about driving with the spare?

Sorry to threadjack, on to your regularly scheduled programming.... :-)

the 5 eat trannys when you get into 5th gear the center diff opens completely. my brother drove my car 50+ miles on the spare

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

From what I understand there is a bearing in the center diff on the 5MT that is prone to die now and then. Depending on skills it may be possible to change it yourself, but I was quoted something around $1000 to fix that - and I was in a hurry so I changed car.

When I was at the shop they did have another gearbox with the same problem, so they knew what they were talking about in cost.

See also this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-transmission-failure-s-128098.html

453747.png

The spare fits over the brakes?

Not only does it fit over the stock brakes, it clears Brembos as well.

the spare tires are suposto be the same outer diameter . so not suposto be so bad

Our cars come with donut spares. The spare is smaller in all dimensions than the stock tire.

the 5 eat trannys when you get into 5th gear the center diff opens completely.

I don't think the center diff is even capable of being completely open. If that were the case, then there would be a way to override an manually open it, similar to the FWD fuse on the 4EAT, but there isn't.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I don't think the center diff is even capable of being completely open. If that were the case, then there would be a way to override an manually open it, similar to the FWD fuse on the 4EAT, but there isn't.

As far as I know the 5EAT has a center diff in the form of a planetary gear configuration and then a clutch that is limiting the slip through hydraulic pressure.

Here's my assumption:

In a way it makes sense to not engage that clutch unless needed for two reasons.

• Engaging the clutch costs energy since it's hydraulic pressure that's needed.
  • When using the fifth gear the risk of slipping is low since the torque on the wheels is relatively low.

And the fuel consumption figures will be better by avoiding engaging the LSD clutch. Remember that the fifth gear is there for economy.

However I don't think it's that well documented since it would just confuse the average Joe.

453747.png

there are 3 options i know of fro the 5mt center diff other than stock replacement.

cusco tarmac center 35/65 split -(this is a biased open diff)

STI HD viscous center 20kgf (stock is 4kgf) - good for drag and offroad use.

PPG Helical center -best all round diff IMO

Just talked with the lead mechanic again. He said theres no reason why the tire on the back of the car should have messed up the center diff, he suspects it happened over a long period of time (just got the car 3k miles ago).

there are 3 options i know of fro the 5mt center diff other than stock replacement.

cusco tarmac center 35/65 split -(this is a biased open diff)

STI HD viscous center 20kgf (stock is 4kgf) - good for drag and offroad use.

PPG Helical center -best all round diff IMO

Yea I just shot PPG an inquiry last night, haven't heard back yet. Anyone have a general idea how much one costs? I feel like that would be more out of pocket than getting a new stock one.

Archived