LegacyGT.com

Looking at a 1999 Legacy L 30th SE questions...Did a search

Hey every one, new to this section of the forum. I had a 2008 Subaru Outback base, but traded it for another car. Well sick of car payments Ive decided to buy something outright. I always wanted a 1995-1999 Legacy Wagon since they appeared on Grand Turisimo 1. Sooooo here I am, loved my last one, think Ill love the model I want more.

Im looking at a 1999 Subaru Legacy L Wagon its a 30th Anniversary model. I saw online that the 30th Ann model has the sunroof standard and 5 spoke 15" wheels. It has an aftermarket stereo and was FL kept with 84k on it.

I am wondering what I should be checking on, its a 5 speed. I remember reading some where that either the 2.5 or 2.2 had head issues, wasn't sure which and what other odd quirks I need to check on.

Also upgrade wise, I know you can pick up projector headlamps for them, I was wondering where, checked ebay and no go.

I also wanted to know if this Legacy didn't come with keyless, how hard it was to acquire a fob and get it programmed to it.

Next to last sourcing fog lights for it, it doesn't have fogs, I want the GT JDM looking ones.

Last what beyond the hood scoop and rims Made a L special edition 30th different exterior wise from a GT, It looks like a rear under spoiler, and fogs. Is the rear underspoiler and add on or a whole new bumper?

Any help is appreciated. I figure if purchased ill do a full 100K service on it. 84k is pretty low miles! I am super xcited to get a Legacy I always wanted.

Are they good DD's at this age?

Thanks guys! Super excited about it!

The projector headlights and fog light can both be found on ebay, search 'JDM Legacy Projector' and they will both come up. DDM tunning has all of your HID lights for dirt cheap prices.

Subaru had a keyless entry and a alarm option, You might have the keyless entry option. But if you dont you are probably better off having a good aftermarket one installed. But if you can find a keyless entry system you just need the pinout, which I can send you, and just wire it up.

The rear and front lip you see on the GT model it just held on by a bunch of screws, no need for a new bumper.

At the 100k service make sure to do the timing belt. It has the 2.2 so no ned to worry about the headgaskets blowing.

This car should be a perfect DD that can go another 100k+ very easy with basic upkeep.

the GTs were / are a sportier set up. they have the same trans gearing as the outbacks but smaller tires. the tires are about halfway in between the legacy and the outback. this gave them a lower apparent gearing and a quicker off the line feeling.

going from an outback to a GT i found i didn't like the lower stance of the GT. the struts are shorter and it rides closer to the ground. (same as the legacy L). so i swapped in outback struts and plan on buying outback size tires when they come due. this will cancel out the quickness but improve the fuel economy.

they had different wheels, 15 spokes maybe. and power antenna. i'm surprised your does not have that as well.

the sedan had a rear spoiler on the trunk and i think the wagons all had one as well up top on the rear, mine does.

the wiring may or may not be there for the fogs, i can't remember. but if fogs were an option on your car from the factory there is a good chance the wiring is there.

i added heated leather seats from a salvage yard to my GT for $225 and about 2 hrs labor. wiring was already there.

99 was a great year for the legacy since it was the anniversary year. the legacy L came with a lot of options not on the l in earlier years. i have read that they did make a few L models that were not ''anniv.'' issue but usually they were bought by fleet companies.

check out http://www.cars101.com to see the option packages that were offered and any other differences between the models.

Ok went and drove it, car is in over all good shape but heres my findings.

-Could use PDR has a few of the standard door dings and mild dents, that could use that PDR touch. Has scratches that I wont be able to remove but nothing epic

-The shifter has something very wrong, R grinds but you can force it past there into gear and yes the clutch was all the way out.

-Also putting the car into gears, its a fight, R grinds but makes it in with force, and all the other gears especially 1st gear, some times I had to put it into 2nd before 1st and 4the wasnt the easy to find at all.

-Shifter is a mess, the stick moves all over left and right in any gear as if one of the linkages was broke off or maybe on of the 2 control axis where broke, in 3rd, in gear you could move the whole shifter left and right to the 5th spot and 1st without it leaving the gear (basically a ton of play)

-Last for the trans is the clutch, it engages so early as in cm from being out and the top say 2/3 of the pedal does nothing its just all the way in. Is this normal, clutch worked fine, just was super early.

-The A/C, fan speed and direction work and recurc, but the A/C compressor never kicks on.

Only other thing is the Check Engine light was on, but the car started and ran fine, went all the way to 6k just fine. I think I am going to ask them if I can take it to an advance and have the code read to see what it is.

They only have 1 key and it looks like a copy so I will need to make 2 good copies and they said they would fix the transmission issues, and the a/c.

The only thing is needs is some TLC has dirty cloth needs shampooing (maybe leather in the future) and the window module needs replacing since the driver window up button is gone. Other then that a good actual cleaning and hardcore waxing and polish from some one who will love the car is all it needs, oh yeah and tint!

Any one have ideas on the shifter? and Clutch?

It has the Gt front lower spoiler on it so I think Ill only need the rear one to make it looks like a GT (well and a hood with a scoop) but I like the 5 spoke on the 30th Ann better then the 15 spokes on the GT so it may be an easy win.

I hope to get some insight on it from you guys then go buy it some time this week :-)

My clutch in my 2nd gen is the same. It is just the way the subi cable clutches feel. The shifter just needs a bunch of bushings replaced, mine is also this way. If I find the link to the DIY I will post it for you. Basically you have to buy a few bushings and a new shifter linkage knuckle to make it feel like new again.

according to http://www.cars101.com/ the 99 came pre-wired for remote entry / alarm, but the unit was an option . but i have bought a couple of outbacks that had the unit wired in but no remote . i bought the remote online for 30$ and presto, remote entry. programming the remote is easy.

so look under the dash on the driver side, probably close to the corner on the left. the unit is black and about the size of a VHS video tape, not quite as big. it will probably be held in with zip ties.

good luck.

Archived