LegacyGT.com

Just Playing around with Gauges...

sportwagon

A PILLAR! Despite what all have said, I decided to put my defi BF on my a pillar. I bolted it on the lower portion, however I think it will be very possible to continue up the a pillar because there is like a 1/2 inc space between the a pillar and airbag. Take off teh A pillar see for yourself.

I don't think the issue is with the ammount of space to attatch the gauges on there. I think it's what happens (god forbid) if the airbag goes off in an accident......what happens to the gauges then? Does the entire A-pillar "pop off" or something? I've seen the video, but forget what happens to the bottom portion of the A-pillar during air bag inflation. Anyway, just a thought.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Took some balls to cut the thing up... especially with only heavy duty scissors and an exacto knife!

Ahh, the ways of the shadetree mechanic - I would have hacked it up with the same tools, obviously it worked out nicely for you, congrats.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

Hey what about mouse ears for two of them and get that new avo cubby for the third

Nope! Not gonna happen! ;) Sorry I think that the avo pod is ugly... and I've already spent the money (recently) on getting the nice defi mounts and the visors, which would both be deemed useless with that set-up!

Thanks for the suggestion, though! Keep them coming!

I like this one:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6935

For me, one of the big reasons to get the LGT is because it doesn't look boy-racerish. This mounting option would preserve the element of stealth somewhat better than either a pillar mount (airbag problem not withstanding) or the center mount.

Of course, a bezel-cluster arrangement would enhance stealth even more, but that would more than likely block some view of the speedo/tach and/or idiot lights.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I like this one:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6935

For me, one of the big reasons to get the LGT is because it doesn't look boy-racerish. This mounting option would preserve the element of stealth somewhat better than either a pillar mount (airbag problem not withstanding) or the center mount.

Of course, a bezel-cluster arrangement would enhance stealth even more, but that would more than likely block some view of the speedo/tach and/or idiot lights.

-A

That's stealthy?.... I'm coming to the conclusion the real solution will be when a USDM nav screen is released. As many guages as you want, and less sensors needed because you can used OBD/CAN interface to poll boost, etc.

do nav screens usually have inputs to display this kind of thing? meaning you'd need a carputer or something?
Once you have an LCD screen, there are a variety of way to put gauges on them.. HKS camp, for one. Personally, I think any nav system you put in should have this capability built in. the JDM nav already has a few (but useless) ones.

Deer Killer -

:lol: LOL, I know what you mean.

But hey, it's about as stealthy as you can get without moving the gauges in to either the center cubby (space problems), glovebox, mounting on the side of the center console (which I did for some of the gauges on my TSi, since the wife so rarely rode in that beast) putting it in the headliner, putting it into the left-side door panel assembly (a 2G DSM favorite), or putting it where it impedes view of our normal view of gauges/idiot-lights in a cluster mount.

In the position I cited, at least it should not be visible from either behind nor directly beside the driver, which is more than can be said for the other mounting alternatives posted.

--------

Overall, I'd more prefer a "comprehensive NAV unit" as you described.

However, even then, I'd still rather prefer to have gauges supplemented with either full-face warning or idiot-lighting, or to totally separate the gauges themselves with a warning-light cluster that's placed in easy view.

I know I may not have the fastest processor up in my thick-boned skull, but I find that even during spirited driving, it's all I can do to take in even simple input from the speedo and tach. With boost, EGT, wideband A/F, volts and amps, oil pressure and temp, pre/post IC temps, ambient temp/intake temp, and water temp to monitor, not having gone to the Naval Academy and having been trained as a jet-fighter pilot means that I'm rather overloaded as an amateur.

:p

As such, for me, I've always favored full-dial warning or idiot-light paired gauges mounted in-view during driving (with the intention being that if anything went wrong, the idiot-light or full-warn would be what would grab my attention), or simply to tuck gauges away specifically for tuning/monitoring purposes, but mounting a set of warning lights in high-visibility so I know when it's time to move over to the shoulder.

Previously, with my boy-racer mobiles, the former has always been my way to go. With Winky, I think that as I increase her power potential, I'm going to be going the way of the latter setup, to best preserve her rather subdued aesthetics.

The only auxiliary gauge I'm going to keep in-view will be my boost gauge - but that's as much for shits and giggles as for anything else. ;)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

sportwagon, did you get that sony head unit from ebay?

yup... I bought it for $700 a long time ago... about three years ago... it is a great HU... despite being made by sony (who has a poor reputation with Car audio & HU's)

Need to hook it up soon! lol.. it's been in my car for over a week now , with no power or sound!:lol:

I was thinking of just getting a boost gauge for now,..Pondering if I want to spend $300 for the DEFI as I could use that extra cash to other performance products,..

I was thinking,..has anyone thought of using the left driver's AC vent to put in a boost/other gauge? In Mitsu, I had my boost gauge in the center air vent made out of plexiglass smoke plastic since I disconnected my AC,..

For the GT, you always have the center vents to use, and just use the vent near driver's door as your gauge mount,..

I thought about it. I wasn't sure that there's enough room there. You have a bit more room (and definitely enough depth) in the center vent - that will fit a 45 mm gauge and the bottom part wd probably fit a 52 mm. I am experimenting with this, should have something to show next week.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Sandwood,..

Post the pics if you do place a gauge in there,..Im interested,.

BTW,..I ordered Kyowa rims exactly like your too thru AMSTuning being shipped from California to Hawaii,..how long did it take to get your rims?

I ordered it last Monday and am still waiting,...

I got mine in person from AMS in MD, but they had to have the rims shipped - I guess from CA. It took them about a week. They said Kyowa were not all that well organized, but it all worked out in the end. Enjoy, and post pics when you have them on.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Just got my rims today and what a bargain shipped to Hawaii,..usually that would add $100 or more easy,..

Never thought how light 18" are compared to my old Riken 16X7" star rims of the 90's, but I hope that doesnt mean a sacrafice in strength and rigidity,..

Will post pics as soon as my car arrives,..yup,..I dont even have my car from Seattle yet,..Should be here Monday,..wait thats Memorial day,..Tuesday,..shoots, extra day I gotta wait,..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working on several other projects (stereo, grille, brakes, etc.) and I hadn't made much progress with the mounting of the actual gauges. I haven't even had them hooked up in my car in a couple of weeks. The control unit was all hooked up, but wire to the gauges was just hanging there (is still hanging there) at the corner of the windshield and a piller. But, funny enough... I pulled them out today and put them in my trunk, with plans to work on the project!

My major accomplishment with the gauges was intergating the control unit... I've almost finished that aspect... and I'm kind of excited that my idea worked out so well!:cool:

Anyone else got Ideas as for a home for my three gauges... at this point I'm still "undecided" and I'm now missing having them there at all! Here's a Bump to jumpstart some feedback and creative thinking while I prepare!

I've got new gauge mounts, which all three gauges will screw into a piece of black plastic, which I've yet to cut, and then I will stick the plastic to the dash.... where... ? ... when and how it's gonna end up???

Thanks!

-Mark

How about street-racer look?

Screw your passenger, just have the gauges mounted vertically off the center console on the passenger side?

:)

How about a nice and concealed glovebox interior mount?

-A

How about street-racer look?

Screw your passenger, just have the gauges mounted vertically off the center console on the passenger side?

How about a nice and concealed glovebox interior mount?

-A

No (not too sure what you mean vertically off the center console)... &.... No! :lol:

The fact that you called it a "street racer look" is making me sway towards no... and the glove box is to sleeper/stealthy! I need something inbetween! :) I won't be able to see them in the glove box! I have thought of it before, and looked into the idea briefly... But it is not an option (for me)...

I'd like to try a few more ideas, and I'll take pictures when I get around to it!

-Mark

Archived