LegacyGT.com

Throwout Bearing Noise... implicate transmission?

DaveGT

I have an LGT Limited Wagon 5 spd w/ 124K miles. About 3 weeks ago the throwout bearing started making a subtle but noticeable "hiss" when the clutch was depressed. A week later a faint grinding rattling noise was apparent even with the clutch out in neutral. The first clutch chatter occurred last week and I immediately stopped driving the car.

The tranny has had a subtle "whine" under heavy acceleration since I bought it 15K miles ago... don't know how long this has been going on, the sound is very similar to a video posting on this forum and seemed pretty minor.

I am looking for opinions on whether the grinding/rattling noise could be attributed totally to the throwout bearing failure or whether this is likely to be an input shaft bearing issue.

If the latter is the case, does anyone have recommendations for rebuilt transmission suppliers or would a new Subaru unit be the answer?

Thanks,

Dave

Ask around and see if the dealer there has a good mechanic. If yes, just take it in and have them drive it....it's free and you can get second opinions. I did this and they had an older mechanic that nailed the problem in about 20 seconds (in my case, a bad clutch release bearing).

Archived